1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I take just my stock on the plane?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sam T., Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam T.

Sam T. TS Member

As I travel from my home to a friends for a few days I want to take my trap gun with me. Knowing that I have to check my trap gun - I would really like to take just my stock with me in my carry-on (I had this stock custom made... and would prefer not to have to get it replaced). This way if the gun was ever lost/stolen I could just put my stock on a new one.

Anybody ever done this? Is going through security a hassle? Are they smart enough to figure out a stock by itself is not a threat?

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I shouldn't think that would be a problem. Without a receiver and barrels, it's basically a wood carving... in other words, it's art!

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet they don't let you, just because they are so overboard with stuff.

4. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I specifically asked TSA at Cheyenne this question. They said no-- because the books says nothing that is part of a gun.

Also, these guys like me cause the used to see me all the time and always have me show them my shotgun. They were worried that it would be an issue in some eastern airport. pk

5. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

In that case, check the gun all in the same case and stay away from the new BA terminal at Heathrow, and you should be okay.

6. Ljutic Guy

Ljutic Guy Member

My friend was not allowed to board with a fiberglass rifle stock. It was the stock only, nothing else, no metal, not even a trigger guard. He had to go back into the terminal and pay a shop to mail it for him.
    Unless something has changed you will have the same problem. Checked baggage will work or you could Fed-X it ahead of your trip.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They will make you check it so why remove the stock. It cannot be carried on

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Get strongest Americase built and have your name and phone number engraved on all the sides. Maybe the thief will call you about ransom!! Seriously though... Lots of guns are stolen and nobody ever seems to be to concerened about it. Jeff

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

If the gun is lost or stolen you have stock and no gun.

If they make you check the stock and it gets lost or stolen you may have gun but no stock.

If they make you check the stock and the gun gets lost or stolen you have stock but no gun.

If you leave the stock on the gun and the gun and stock gets lost or stolen then you have no gun and no stock and I would rather have nothing than just part of it all.

Have you just thought about saving the time and the hassle of it all, especially with the new excessive 2nd bag charges the airlines are implementing and just Fed-Ex'ing or UPS'ing or mailing the entire gun to your friend a few days before your arrival so it is there waiting for you?

10. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I put mine in checked baggage actually took 2 of them to the Dixie Grand and it was fine. All I had to do was declare it and open it up so they could look down the barrels and off we went. I had put a bunch of Harley Davidson stickers on the case and had locks for it no problems at all. The Air line was great and they arrived there fine

11. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I'd say it's not worth the hassle/risk, you could call it an "art carving" or whatever, but you can't take a gun part on the plane with you. Not even something as innocent as a single choke tube, if you tell them it's a gun part.

I'd be worried that one of them would see it, impound the thing and it be gone forever------unless you knew what auction it would be sold at next year, for $1.

I asked a Briley rep one day, "how do you get away with carrying your choke display case on board"? He said "because I am carrying display items, not gun parts".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.