1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I Shoot Both Games?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Hello All,

There is a couple of new Sporting Clays courses around me that are starting to have monthly registered shoots. I am a registered trapshooter, but registered sporting clays has intrigued me. Do you think I can shoot both without hurting the other? I am using a true trap gun for trap and a sporting gun for sporting, so I am using 2 different guns. Do you guys/gals think that a man can shoot trap 1 week and Sporting the next and not have any complications?

2. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

3. Butler

Butler TS Member

sure, but are you going to break competetive scores at either one Jim

4. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

shoot what ever you like, sporting is a good time lots of trap type presentations also you could turn to the dark side and shoot some skeet and continental trap have fun ted

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

No problem, mix a little pistol and rifle into it also.

Shooting is shooting

Once you have learned to shoot, what your shooting at makes little difference.

If you were training for the Olympics I would not suggest shooting anything else.......but are you? I doubt it so shoot whatever you want, it will only make you a better shooter.

People that are proficient with handguns, or rifles, rarely ever have the problems pulling a trigger that trap shooters imagine.

Most trap shooters would benefit by shooting other types of firearms. A shotgun will hide just about any bad habit a person can acquire.

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well, I am a 26.5 yard shooter, trying to make 27. I am a A class 16 yard shooter. Can I make it to A class in Sporting? If I shoot Sporting, will my 16 yard average drop?

Matt

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try it what could it hurt?

Remember, your brain does 99% of your shooting, if you have trained it properly it will take care of you .....trust it.....it's not magic.

8. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Give it a try.

See what happens. If your trap scores drop, you have your answer.

Shooting skeet actually seems to help my trapshooting.

Sporting clays generally calls for quicker gun movement which may cause you to rush your trap singles targets.

Who knows, you may become a convert to sporting clays.

ed.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

10. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Its plain to see that you are not fully committed to trap shooting as you reffered to it as a "game"

Sporting Clays, Skeet, 5 stand, Crazy Quail and Chutes and Ladders are games

Trap is a way of life

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Matt you shouldn't have a problem as long as you can separate the two. When you shoot trap you think trap when you shoot sporting you think sporting.

Bob Lawless

12. Trail

Trail Active Member

I can only tell you what I've seen....

two good friends of mine have tried to be good at both...both had to make a choice in the end. Please understand, these were very good trapshooters...not the "recreational" shooters like I am. One of these guys was on the state champ ATA 5 man squad in our state.

He got serious about sporting clays and his trap scores suffered badly (by his standards). So...what I've seen is if you are very serious about the sport, you'll need to pick. If you're a guy like me who shoots a couple of leagues during the summer and another in spring, then no big deal.

Some will argue with me on this...which is fine...but that's what I've seen in 2 cases. It seems the sight picture is different, the approach is different, the swing if very different. Hard to be really good at both.

Trail

13. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

if you are going to shoot both practice both i shoot trap, skeet and sporting during the off season also bunker it make you focus also you meet a different group of folks to shoot with

14. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Don't believe the naysayers, some can and some can't, the only way to know is to try.

I used to shoot Trap in the spring up till the Grand and then Skeet in the fall till the World Skeet Shoot.

One year I decided to try shooting whatever shoot was closest to home, Trap, Skeet or Sporting. I shot as well as before.

I have a friend who tried the same thing and it was ugly.

Michael Goines

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Matt, for whatever reason you would like to try shooting Sporting Clays. I say the only way to clear your thoughts on this is to try it!!! Shoot a month or a few times until you answer your own question. Unless you are shooting a shotgun in trap with a 80% or more POI its no big change. If you do then your site picture will look different and this could lead to some problems with one game or both. I find shooting sporting clays great fun, but because of the extra cost of targets, the harder kicking ammo needed, and to be competitive having a cart is a must and expensive to tow around, I only like to enjoy it from time to time as a diversion from the other two. Only way to reach this for yourself is to try it and shoot in a few shoots at different clubs and find out for yourself, like I did. Now give it a try and let us know how it works out for you!!! Break-em all. Jeff

16. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

an old saying is the more you do, the less you do well.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

It may not make you a better trap shooter, but it'll make you a better shotgunner/wingshooter.

18. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I shoot Trap and Skeet to help my Sporting Clays........of course I shoot everything low gun.

19. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I tend to shoot better the more variety that I shoot. Shoot all three (trap, skeet, sporting) and have not noticed any adverse affects to any scores. I feel like it makes me a better shooter overall.

20. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

"..90% of this game is 50% mental......." Yogi Berra.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're correct both times."

Around where I shoot sporting about 40% of the shots are Trap-type shots anyway. You can equate another 30% to Skeet-type shots, and the last 30% are unique to Sporting.

Any game that helps you focus on each individual target is worth shooting, and helps develop skills.

IMHO,
    Kip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.