1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I sell a gun out of state, face to face?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by henrims, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henrims

henrims Member

Can I do a face to face sale to a resident of a neighboring state without involving a FFL? Is this legal or do I need to go through a FFL?
    We don't live that far apart but it's across state lines. I'm in Illinois, he's not.

Thanks...

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

CASH YES. Just do it and shut up. The less the gov knows the better for us.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You beat me to it Auctioneer....:)

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Depends on the type of gun (handgun absolutely not, long gun maybe) and state laws in particular. If your state and Illinois have reciprocal agreements and allow for purchase/sale of long guns between states, maybe. Contrary to the above advice, you had better check into the specific laws governing this, rather than rely on so-called "advice" from the forum. If for reason the gun you sold ended up getting stolen and misused, it would eventually be traced back to you as the last "legal" or "registered" owner and the resulting questions might turn out to be a bit awkward for you. The consequences might then result in your loss of all guns, felony charges, what have you. We might not like, or agree with the many firearms laws existing (or believe they are even Constitutional) but as long as they exist, failure to observe them can result in some very unpleasant consequences. Check with your local authorities and the authorities in Illinois first. The forum is no place for legal advice.

Jim R

5. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Meet him at an FFL in his state (call the FFL first and make an appointment), with the gun, and do the transfer there. The most ocmmon apprach is that the buyer pays the FFL fee. You loose nothing, but gain peace of mind should a scenario develop like Jim proposed.

6. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Use common sense. My my state we can do person to person shot gun sales to four neighboring states but not the 5th. None the less, I always use a bill of sale and have them fill out name, drivers license number and provide signature. I state this upfront and in one instance, one guy said he would not buy it becasue of that...

To Jim's point, stolen shotguns are a reality as is their use in violent crimes. Not knowing who you you sell it to is needless risk to you...

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I agree with Jim & Tiny. Go the FFL route. It would be worth the piece of mind to me. Split the $37.50 FFL transfer fee. (that's what my guy charges me) I'd call it cheap insurance.

If for some reason this would not work or be a hassle I would go to a Kinkos or some place with a copy machine. Copy your FOID card and his/her drivers license on a piece of paper and put Seller by your card and Buyer beside his. Both sign and date, and each retain a copy.

I doubt that is "legal", but at least there is a record if something went wrong. The state would probably revoke your FOID for only 5 or 10 years instead of life.

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.htm#Sec. 922

Based on prior threads, the transaction is not legal unless a "licensee" is involved.

Danny

9. JH

JH Well-Known Member

It is not legal.

10. henrims

henrims Member

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the FFL route is the way to go. I looked on-line as best I could, at BATF and IL laws, and couldn't really tell for sure.

Mike

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Your making the right choice. It is clearly illegal. Just read the BATF site a little closer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i sell a rifle to someone out of state