1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I retouch a barrel myself??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

When I shoot 5 Stand, I lay my barrel down on the ledge of the wooden cage. I've noticed my sporting gun has lost some of the blueing on the underside of the barrel. Can I fix this up myself? And how?? Thanks for any info!

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a small botlle of instant blue, some rubbing alcohol, a clean rag, and some 0000 steel wool. Clean the area with the alcohol to get rid any oil. Then rub the area with the steel wool to remove any oxidation from the metal. Apply the instant blue with a cue tip, apply several coats until the treated area matches the rest of the barrel. Rinse the area with some soapy water to stop the bluing action. Dry the barrel and apply some oil to the area. HMB

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You will waste a lot of time, some money, and make a mess. In the end, it
    will look worse than it does now. I guarantee it.

Been there, done that.

4. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

Can I do my own open heart surgery?

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used "re-blue' product on a slight scratch on the receiver of an 870 and made the scratch worse. I will never try any type of "re-blue" product again.

I have used a product called "Flitz" which is a high quality, slightly abrasive metal polish. You dab a little on and work it in gently with a soft cloth. It removes a rust like crud from bluing and makes the blued metal sparkle. Rub too hard and you remove bluing.

A little goes a long way and be careful not to get into any engraving or lettering as it is difficult to get out.

Years ago I was getting heat waves from an 1100 barrel that had been sprayed and wiped with WD-40. It eliminated all traces of the WD-40 and got rid of the heat waves.

Ed Ward

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It would appear that the above posters are clueless when it comes to bluing a piece of metal. HMB

7. yvonne

It's a question guys! Can I sew a button on that fell off or do I NEED a seamstress....Can I cut a piece off PC pipe, join it and add a piece and and elbow... Do I NEED a plumber? Can I do Heart Surgery ... NO! Anyone knows I CAN'T do that, including me! I'm a fairly intellgent person that only takes on as much as I can handle. Is fixing this problem something I can handle? Maybe! Is there someone that can explain what I can do or if I should leave it to a professional. When someone posts an answer like the Heart Surgery stuff, it turns people off on WHAT we can ask each other. Demeaning! Look at some of the crap this one says.....FROM: Twister7795.... "You can rub it on your stiff..............................joints. thats what i have heard" His/Her reply about a thread on WD40! Enough said!

8. yvonne

hmb: I'd love to hear from you! Please pm me and we can "talk" about this. Thanks!

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yvonne,

I believe you are more than intelligent and handy enough to do a touch up blue. The problem is it is very hard to match the existing blue. If that doesn't concern you there are numerous types of touch up bluing. You need to know what sort of bluing your gun currently has in order to come close to matching it. Even then you will always be able to tell it was touched up. I tried it on a gun of mine one time and wished I had just left the spot rubbed off. I'm just afraid if the rubbed off spot bothers you the mismatched blue will to. Good luck whatever you decide.

Matt

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Two posters already told you that it's not a good idea. HMB - the foremost- authority-on-everything is also the resident bluing expert. Do what you want,
    and don't say you weren't warned.

11. 333t

333t Member

Get a small bottle of Oxpho-Blue from Brownells. Cabelas may carry it also. It is a liquid blue that is easy to apply, very forgiving to use, and is very handy for small repairs such as you describe. It doesn't seem to effect the original blue, only the areas that need it. Apply to the area you want, let it work a little while, then use 0000 steel wool to blend in the color. Repeat as needed until you are satisfied. Easy to do.

Phil

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yvonne,

Remember that there are people on here that have a difficult time walking and chewing gum at the same time!

Give it a try ... if you don't like it ... you can always have the bluing done professionally, later!

13. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

If you can do it, then why did you ask if you could?

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Of course you can do it.

The question you should be asking is "What will it look like after I've done it?"

If it turns out like most of the made-by-home re-blues I've ever seen, "a pinto pony" would be a good comparison!

Keller

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yvonne,

Why do you think that most of the posters above are so negative on this issue? I believe the answer is, when they attempted to do a bluing job, they violated the six P principle. In that proper preparation prevents piss poor perforance.

So when attempting the bluing of your barrel, preparation is the key to success. Bluing is a chemical reaction. The bluing chemical solution is an acid. When the acid comes in contact with the metal barrel the chemical reaction changes the color of the barrel.

The area to be blued needs to be clean, oxidation needs to be removed, the chemical reaction is enhanced if the barrel is warm to the touch.

Finally when the desired color is reached the chemical reaction needs to be stopped ( soapy water wash neutralizes the acid ). And last but not least the dried surface needs to be protected with oil. HMB

16. yvonne

Thanks for all the info! I think I'll give it a try on one of my hunting guns first and see how it turns out. Twister gets the first photo if it's a success ;)

17. wlc

wlc Member

I've done many touch-ups and while they never match perfectly, I've always felt they looked better than they did before. HMB has given you good advise.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Cold blue will not hold up to use. I have used most over the years. I like Oxpho-Blue for small non-gun projects but it won't hold up on a gun, none will! Doesn't matter how it is done. For small parts that are not handled I heat the part in an oven to about 300 degrees and apply the blue repeatedly till the part is cool and then card it with oil. Looks good but won't hold up to use. That won't hold up on a gun because friction wore off the original blue in the first place. If cold blue worked there would be no need for hot blue.

Go ahead and try it, won't hurt, then you will know the truth

His Contrariness, hmb, knows this or he is just blind.

Besides, blue wear adds character.

Forgot to say, I bead blast those small parts before I use cold blue to get a raw surface. Otherwise it won't work well at all.

19. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

hmb is alliterative.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Get a bottle of G96 instant gun blue from the local gun shop or WalMart ... Works great for little touch ups and is very easy to use ... I have used it for years on many guns and it always looks good when done ... The prep is right on the bottle ... It works so well many gun shops use it for touch up work and you cannot tell its been touched up ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.