1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I Get A Witness!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by docbombay, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

A bunch of us were sitting around on the front porch of the club shooting the bull as usual when the subject arose about reloading cheap shells. The discussion was what you would expect. Some said they just won't reload the cheap Gun Clubs or Universals or Wally World Federals. Others said they would reload them, but only one time. There were even a few that reloaded the cheapies several times and said they never had a problem.

You can put me in the middle there; I reload them, but just once. I have succumbed to the warnings of cheap cardboard being lodged in the barrel and subsequent ruination of said barrel. The others agreed. That was the main reason they also would not reload the cheapies or if they did, only one time.

One of the guys who has reloaded these shells many times, and I might add that he is one of the more seasoned vets and a damn fine shooter, posed this question. "Have any of you actually seen a barrel blow up due to a cardboard base wad lodged in the barrel? Have you ever been to any shoot where this happened?"

I had to admit, as did the others, that I had not witnessed this ever happening. I have only read or "heard" about it. It has caused me to incorporate a safety measure into my shooting routine however. I now make it a habit to peer down the inside of my barrel when I remove the spent shell to insure there is nothing there. It is easy for me; I have a Krieghoff and just break it open, remove spent shell, look down the barrel to see that it is clear and then load the new shell.

Now what would I do if I were shooting a model 12, autoloader or some other gun that did not allow me the ease of looking down the barrel? Would I be so inclined to reload the cheapies and use them? I do not believe I would.

How about you? Have you ever witnessed a barrel become a pipe bomb? If so, what kind of gun was it? Was it documented that the ammunition that caused this to take place was a cheapie reload? If so, what brand? Do you reload the cheapies? If so, how many times? Will that thread on the Cardinal Center ever end?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Doc

2. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

Doc,

Gun Clubs don't belong in the same category as the Universals or cheap Federals. Gun Clubs are of the same design and dimensions as STS's. They are one-piece moldings with nothing to separate. I reload them many times.

Ed Wenrich

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

docbombay:

I've loaded Top Gun type Federal hulls since the mid 80's. Back then they were much less common than they are now. It wasn't uncommon to load them four or five times. I quit loading them more than once long ago because the primer pockets would stretch and the new primers would fall out.

I never had the wound paper base wad of a Top Gun lodge in the barrel or know of anyone who did. One did fly out the end of my BT-99 barrel like a party streamer once.

sissy

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Gun Clubs are OK to reload many times if you want to run steel base hulls thru your reloader . I have done this for years and now stopped and will only use the STS green and gold . Another reason is the steel base hulls don`t release from my barrel on the Ljutic and never did , new or reloaded and resized 2 to 3 times prior . So for me it`s just STS`s and I`ll give the tub of RGC`s away to those who will .

5. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Doc:

Nope. Never...

6. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Thanks so far, Gentlemen; we,re getting some well thoughtout replies. Let's try for more...thank you in advance of your participation....

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

I haven't but my ex wifes first cousins ex husbands brother had a nephew who knew of a guy that was a friend of his ex father-in-laws cousins aunt who saw it happen.(twice!)

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

MISSED SOME!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! LAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN I QUOTE YOU ON THAT???

BROWNK80

9. missed some

missed some TS Member

Oh yea, i knew the guys brother-in-laws niece!

10. brownk80

brownk80 Member

LJUTIC111

That doesn't make the Gun Club a bad shell. Ljutic's just have a problem with steel bases. Several people I know have had that problem; some have had their chambers opened up, some have had them sleeved (sp?), some just keep them clean and lightly oiled, and some just shoot other shells. I nevered had a problem with my Ljutics nor have several of my friends using steel base shells.

As for reloading steel base shells and worrying about your reloader I believe that the additional wear on the steel bushings from the light steel bases is probably minimal at best and the money I save loading the "cheap" shell will more than pay for the cost of new shell bushing if I ever wear them out. By the way I have probably loaded well over 100,000 of them and I have loaded them on MEC's, PW's and Spolar and have never had or seen a problem nor do I know any one who has.

If primers are falling out it is probably because you used Fiocchi which are a couple of thousands over size and then went back to a smaller primer. I have done the same thing and found out that once I used Fiocchi I had to stay with them so if I used other primers I had to use new shells but that is not a hull issue in my opinion.

Gun Clubs are good shells and they load many times before they need to be tossed. Ljutics are great guns that just don't like steel Remington steel bases.

Shoot well.

Brownk80

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I never said they were a bad hull to use , I just referred to all that I prefer not to use them anymore . They do load as good as the STS`s and last about as long but I have tubs of once fired STS`s to use when the 3 tubs of twice fired are used up or discarded . I reload on a 366 and feel the slight difference when loading both but that is my choice to stop using them this year . As for the others listed as reloadable , I wouldn`t consider them a my basic hull for reloading nor the AA hulls either although my friend use them all the time without failures . I have noticed the brass separate from both STS`s and AA hulls but I feel more confident using only STS`s and compatable components .

12. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I can appreciate the feel on your 366. I noticed the difference on my loaders until I went to hydraulic. I know a number of people who still like the feel of a manual reloader as they feel it gives them a better reload. I understand but at my age I am going for volume! I too get separation on my STS's, Nitro's and even the old AA's as well as the gun clubs but I understand your reasons for going with STS's. I think they and the Nitro's are far and away the best hull on the market today.

Shoot well

BrownK80

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

I reload the gun club hulls until the plastic melts down into a big pile of goo. Well, not quite that many times but I usually get 6-8 loads out of them before the plastic turns black and the crimps split.

Run them through a BT-100 then spin them around a Mec 761R and load them back up. Your mileage may vary.

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like gun club better then STS hulls. They last longer with out burning the ends off and not crimp left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.