1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I Bum a Cigarette, Mister?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Are there any of you still alive who remember the cigarette rationing here in the states during WWII? I lived in a very small town (it was only there on Tuesdays and Thursdays) in Missouri. Everyone knew, to the day, when the cigarette truck would arrive and were waiting when it pulled up to the store.

Lucky Strike, Camels and Chesterfield were the big three (15 cents a pack) but you had to be a special customer to buy those brands.I was not that special so I settled for the 11 cents a pack brands: Avalon, Twenty Grand, Chelsea, Raleigh, Wings, etc - when I had the money and Bull Durham when I didn’t. I learned to roll a pretty mean ciggie at a very young age.

Of course, bumming now and then was not out of the question either.

BB

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Does Senior Smoker know you're pilfering his material?

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I haven't smoked a cigarette in many years, but I remember paying $1.10 a carton for Kools on board the USS Gunston Hall on the way to Vietnam.

4. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

shot410ga
    Glad you made it back from Nam (hell). Thanks for your service!

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

In early 1966, I bought a carton of Camel's (we called 'em Blasting Caps) for $.90 at our HQ PX in Nha Trang.

Curt

6. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

In 1964, Japan, drinks were $.10 each during happy hour on base; Camel's and Lucky Strike's were a buck a carton.
    Hotsi bath $3.00 American.

Dave

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hah got y'all beat when I was in Utapao Thailand we could get a carton on Camel straights for $.75 when they were on sale, they also had those Winchester mini cigars for $.23 a carton, I bought one once trying to save money for more important things, line alcohol and pooh yings but it didn't last very long, damn those things were nasty

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

As kids we all knew where the ciggie vending machines were placed all over town. We would make trips to these places so we did not have to worry about the cashier telling our folks we were smoking. There was this one shop, "swannee swifty", that the lady would sell me chew and smokes at 10 years old. Made me feel like a champ walking out with a pack.

THE DAYS!!

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

When I was a kid, hanging out in South Rockford, there were two defenses againt chronic moochers: open the bottom of the pack, put it in your pocket rightside up, and say you didn't want to open a fresh pack, most moochers understood that. When money was real tight, you bought Kools; even the moochers didn't want those. Only about 60 years ago!

10. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

Funny! as a kid I did good to afford shotgun shells to shoot a few birds. Never started smoking . But I have this shooting habit.

11. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

In 1957-58 I was working TDY between Fort Richie MD and Fort Bragg NC working on micro-ware towers, When we passed through the tobacco country, we always stopped at the cigarette pants and got free cartons of cigarettes.

Oh happy days.

I was smoking way to much. One day, "she who must be obeyed" said to me that if I quit smoking and save the money and buy trap gun. Theretofore, I was using a Remington Auto which was given to by father by his father in 1916.

I was discharged in Nov 58 and that spring, I went in to Omaha and purchased a 870 TB from Moneymaker's. Mr Moneymaker told me that it was really not a TB. That it was a 'put together' trap gun for $125.00.

That was good enough for me.

Today my son and couple of others, hauled a pallet of blue-rock to the range in preparation for our league shoot on Saturday. When everything unloaded we shot a round to make sure the new rocks broke OK. My son used his Browning O/U and I, my 870 put together TB.

Jim

12. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Glad you guys are around to tell these stories. Those are some nasty habits to have survived. I quit smoking but it damn near killed me to do it. Thanks for sharing and bringing back great memories.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I remember stocking up on free 10 smoke boxes of Winstons at the Cheyenne rodeo every year before the new semester started. Somehow I could enough to last a couple of months - quite a deal for a broke college kid! (smokes cost about a buck a pack then)

Glad I don't smoke anymore - now if I could just get free of the Cope .....

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My dad died from a type of cancer rarely seen in non-smokers, cancer of the lung lining, over two decades years after he quit.

I'm glad I never even tried tobacco of any kind.

15. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Some brands had slogans to help sales. For example: Old Gold - "Not a cough in a carload."

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was thinking that as I went thru basic at Amarilla Texas due to a Spinelmeningitis out break cigs were $1.70 a carton in 1966 and then when I got to Chicksands England they were $1.10 a carton in 1967. Jackie B.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Glad I never started for sure...not sure how anyone could afford to start these days unless extremely well heeled

18. johnboy

johnboy Member

Price of tobacco is cheap compared to the medical costs associated with tobacco use.

19. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I only smoked factories for convenience while driving or busy doing something. When I played cards, shot pool, fished or did anything that was laidback and relaxing I much preferred to roll my own. No cigarette tasted as good as one rolled with Half and Half kept moist by a slice of orange peel in the pouch. Not many 20-somethings in the 70's were rolling their own, so I seldom got bummed unless someone thought it was weed!

20. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Anyone remember what I think was called the "Laredo" filter tip cigarette rolling machine? They made some funky looking cigarettes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.