1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can guns be ship to your self

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 682LINY, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682LINY

682LINY Member

example,,,,summer house in NY,,winter house in Fla,,,,,or ny to relative in calif ,,,taking motorcycle ,,,,cant carry 2 shotguns in saddle bags???? ,,,Billy

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Yes alot of people do it . You can ship your gun to yourself anyplace in the U,S.

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

keybear,,,,,thanks ,Billy

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

As long as we're talking shipping shotguns, can you ship (just) the reciever and not have it go to a FFL holder, then send the barrel in a second parcel?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

From what I understand you can ship a firearm to yourself. However, don't believe that breaking a gun into parts is a way to circumvent the law. You can ship the barrel to anyone you want. The receiver is the "part" that the ATF has a problem with. Ed

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I know shipping a gun to yourself is OK, and not allowed in Canada makes sense to me as well, but is it OK to do in California??? I know that they have some tight laws that do not apply to the other 49 states. 682liny has noted that he might want to send gun to some relative there as well. Break-em all.I don't know that one, but would like to as well. Jeff

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Bill Gardner Don,t you thing the BATF has figured out the GUN PARTS thing . The only part they care about is the receiver . The receiver is the gun . If you keep shipping (gun parts) to other people sooner or later you will get nailed for it .
    KEYBEAR

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I send mine to myself In care of my pal's shop every time I go to AZ.

Have the printout for the USPS people, some don't know the law.

HM

10. 682LINY

682LINY Member

thanks for the help,,,,just got off the ATF web site,,,,,,,yes you can ship to your self as was stated above by joe Potosky,,,,,go to atf web site click on FAQ,,,section B 6-9 of above link

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

People would ship their guns to the Grand. They had a security area that accepted the parcel and it was kept in a secured area. One year UPS went on strike and that really fouled things up for some guys.

12. JRD

JRD TS Member

So if I'm considering a trade with a gun shop in another state, I can just ship my firearm to that dealer(who has a FFL) from UPS? No paper work is required to do this?

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

There are a couple of scenarios here. You can ship long guns to self via USPS. You can ship via USPS to a gunsmith (Liab's for ex) for repair. Transfers of ownership are different, requiring shipment to a FFL, who in turn transfers the firearm to the new owner. Guy

14. incognito

incognito TS Member

So, I can ship a gun across the country to myself. OK. Tell me what's wrong with this little scenario:

#1. I ship a gun, say from Texas to Missouri, to myself "in care of" John Doe. ie. Let's say that John Doe is my Brother-in-Law in Missouri.

#2. The gun arrives at John Doe's residence, but I break down on the way and never make it. I need money to repair my vehicle so I can return home.

#3. I talk to my Brother-in-Law and explain what happened. He offers to buy the gun from me that I shipped to MYSELF at his residence.

#4. I sell him the gun. No further shipping is required since it is already there.

15. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

#1....you are not allowed by Federal Law to ship it "in the care of anyone". It must go to the addressee only.

#2.....Too bad, sorry for your problem.

#3.....He must wait until YOU arrive to take possesion, he is NOT allowed by Federal Law to open the box.

#4.....YOU must take it to a FFL to make the transfer, and he must pass the background check.

#5....This assumes your BIL lives in Missouri and is not just visiting as you are.

16. incognito

incognito TS Member

#1. Well, I wanted to verify this, so I called the Post Office. They told me that they are not supposed to deliver mail to an address if the name on the package does not agree with the name on their record for that residence. They said that, if it is addressed to someone other than the resident, it MUST be addressed to that person "in care of" or "c/o" the legal resident.

I told them that sometimes I receive mail that doesn't have my name on it, and the lady said that if it is addressed to someone else they aren't "supposed" to deliver it. She admitted that they probably don't always catch every piece. Also, you could address it to "resident" and not include any name. That is meant for mass mailers who want everyone in a certain area to receive mail. However, I'm not sure I'd want to do that.

So, if you are correct that Federal law forbids mailing a gun to an address "in care of" (I could not verify this), and Postal Regulations do not allow them to deliver to someone other than the legal resident (I did verify this via the Post Office), where does that leave us?

#2. Thanks.

#3. What Federal law says this?

#4. I'm not shipping the gun for sale so there doesn't appear to be any requirement for a FFL transfer. I'm doing a private sale of a gun that is already in the same state as the purchaser. If I take my gun out of state I can make a private sale without a FFL.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

IM Confused!!!..SOOOO,..if I shipped to myself care of my brother(using his address)...the package can be left at his house as long as he does an honest injun ,..I promise not to open..or

they wont leave it and I still have to go to the UPS/USPS facility and pick up myself any way?

18. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The question was answered very well by Joe Potosky above. Just read his reply and stop reading the bad info that is posted afterwards.

19. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

I stand corrected about item #1, appearently "in care of" is accepatable.

My point on item 3 comes from Mr. Potosky's reference that says only the addressee should open the package.

#4- You said you were selling the gun to your BIL.....you must go through an FFL to do so....and YOU must take it to the FFL (or send it) since you are the addressee/owner.
    Unless of course he is a resident of the the same state as you in which case you are home free......if it weren't for the pesky fact that he is not the addressee on the package.

Almost a conundrum.........

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The package will be addressed to the owner. (That's you, the firearm owner)

In care of (the person your mailing it to). Could be a friend, club, post office, motel, hunting lodge...

He or she will hold the package for you. They are not allowed to open it, only you (the firarm owner) has that honor.

If for some reason you cancel the trip, they will return the unopened package to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.