1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can everyone be a two-eyed shooter?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BoilerUP, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoilerUP

BoilerUP TS Member

Can everyone be a two eyed shooter? I was shooting two eyed and was recently told after a few simple tests that I will never be a two eyed shooter and that I should shoot one eyed.

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

here is the acid test?? do you shoot better with one eye or two?? that would be the simple test i think..

bill

3. Juno

Juno TS Member

Newbius is having a similar problem. PM him and see what he's gonna do.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Anyone can shoot with two eyes but not all successfully!!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The only reason I can think of that would prevent being a two eye shooter is if you only had one functioning eye. (Partial blindness, nerve damage etc). Assuming you have two healty eyes and the dominant eye is on the same side as your trigger finger you should be able to shoot with both eyes on the target.

6. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I would suggest you try and pick up Phil Kiner's DVD and/or look up some of his articles he has written for Trap and Field on the subject. His DVD has a section on shooting one eye vs. two and includes video of what to look for to determine if you are "cross firing".

Phil was kind enough to spend some of his time with our SCTP kids at the Kansas State Shoot earlier this month. I can tell you that he found several of our kids that he felt would be better off shooting one eye and worked with them to "tape" their off eye lens.

One had just shot a 72 in the first 100. After Phil set him up he went out that afternoon and shot a 92/100. He has been in the mid 90's ever since. We have seen similar (but less spectacular) results with all the rest. Phil will tell you that you should shoot with two eyes, if you can, but if you can not, don't! Results speak loudly, I am a believer.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The answer is NO. Various reasons can exist. You can still perform to a level of excellence using just one.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you don't learn how to shoot two eyed, you are handicapping yourself out of the starting gate by 50% of your visual perception. It's a choice one has to make, and for some a very difficult task.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eye dominance is genetically regulated. The same question posed in this thread can be restated "Can everyone be right handed?".

Pat Ireland

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

No, and there are a lot of guys shooting two eyed badly because the conventional wisdom is 2 eyes are better than one. Which is not universally true and, consequently, baloney.

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I think that every one should be able to shoot using 2 eyes, no tape or dot. They just need to shoot with there dominate eye over the comb of the stock. Having no dominate eye or a weak dominate eye may require a sight blinder to keep the off eye from seeing the bead. A fiber optic bead along with a tube or blinder should help if you can maintain a focus on the target and not be distracted by the glowing sight.

Jason

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the patterning board. Shoot 10 patterns aiming at the target with one eye, the same way you would shoot a rifle. Then shoot ten targets using two eyes while just looking at the target, the same way you would shoot a trap target. This test will give you an idea of how sucessful you will be as a one or two eyed shooter. I think alot of shooters will be surprised by the results of this test. HMB

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sammy Davis Jr couldn't

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Sorry Jason. It isn't the off seeing the bead, it is the off eye tracking the target that is often the problem.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ertz,

When you don't have your gun in your hand, and you look at thrown targets with both eyes open, do you see one target or two?

If the answer is one, then chances are, when you're trying to shoot with both eyes open you're looking at the bead or the barrel, not the bird.

16. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Strange things happen. I am legally blind in my left eye and last fall I took A Phil Kiner clinic and he showed me on video where I was cross firing. I did it A couple of times. Apparently I see more out of my left eye than I thought. He said he had the same thing with another shooter. I have since shot with one eye closed. He also said that over 90 percent of women two eyed shooters cross fired.
    Roy

17. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Weird things happen with eyes and shooting. It somewhat depends on how determined you are. I am left eye dominate due to problems with my right eye and still shoot right handed. I'm planning on winning the Grand this year (just like the other 4,000 shooters). Next year I think I'll learn to shoot left handed. AJ

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think some people just can't do it for whatever reason. But I know a man who claims he can convert anyone to two-eyed in a weekend, so who knows?

I've tried to make the switch a couple of times. I see one target but I see it for a l-o-n-g time.

Ed

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

YES! The answer is that simple. It's Yes. How to do it is another thing. Commitment to doing it is the obstacle for most. If your gun does not fit it may be near impossible. When I shot Olympic Archery in College our coach made us learn to shoot a bow with our off side. Most would think near impossible but it's not it will take time and commitment. A commitment that most are unwilling to make. Joe Goldberg

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.