1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can different hulls affect the patter?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Grade Six, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grade Six

Grade Six TS Member

My son and I got in a discussion over the weekend about reloading. He said that different hulls will pattern differently with the same components. I said that pattern is affected more by the components (ie wad, powder, size of shot)than the hull. Who is right? Again....thanks for your help. This site is great for advise. Tom

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you shoot the same matched components in two different brand of hulls, the pattern will be different. And, if you shoot the same matched components in the same brand of hull, the patterns will be different. Both patterns and snow flakes are each different.

Pat Ireland

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat, they are all different. Just build confidence in the load you shoot and the heck with all the bull. Load the same load, be it 1oz or 1 1/8 oz, in any case and the one that smokes target for you is the one to stay with. Break 'em all!

Big Jack

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The recipes for tapered hulls like STS and AA are much different than straight walled hulls like Federal Gold Medal. I use Winchester wads designed for tapered hulls and do not save straight walled hulls for reloading. I get good patterns from both STS and AA hulls.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

miketmx- I agree with you that a tapered wad should be used in a tapered case. I also support using a tapered primer for the AA hulls that have a tapered primer pocket.

Pat Ireland

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Different hulls loaded with the same components (particularily the same amount of powder) will PERFORM differently, therefore I suppose may >pattern< differently also. Case in point; take the same recipe you use for a 1145 fps 1 1/8 oz load in an STS hull and use it in a Top Gun hull? You won't get anywhere NEAR 1145 fps. It's all about internal capacity of the particular hull.

I agree with >you< on this point tho', assuming you're launching the ejecta at the same velocity from hull "A" as from hull "B"--------the wad and the shot don't know the difference.

John C. Saubak

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

The hull isn't AS important as the other stuff, but it IS important. If it opens poorly, the pattern CAN be affected I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.