1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can average shooter use pump for doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Can a fair to average shooter have a good time using a pump for doubles instead of a double barreled gun or will the pump most likely be too hard to handle?

Does a single trigger provide a significant benefit over a double trigger in a side by side for trap?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've only seen a couple of guys shooting doubles with a pump (both of 'em shot Winchester mod 12's)......they looked like they were having a "good time".

John C. Saubak

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'Average'? Probably the pump would cost him a bird or two, because of additional movement that is excess-to-needs. That said, I've seen a couple of pretty good International Skeet, Doubles and Wobble Shooters using pumps. Familiarity and timing matter.

SxS ... a lot of that depends on how the stock is configured and how the triggers are spaced. The 'natural' movement in shooting the second trigger is a slight 'slide' backwards, and with a straight- or Prince-of-Wales (bag) grip it is an unconscious, perfectly normal movement. With a close-fitting pistol-grip, it is a conscious effort to find the back trigger.

If you need (or think you need) a pistol-grip for control, double-triggers are more inconvenient than a single.

Bob

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Likely you'll enjoy it. The squadmate to your right will likely have a different opinion.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Bushmaster, whats your background? Have you shucked a pump much in your life? Yes one can have alot of fun if acustomed to using one.

SXS, if your going with a duel trigger model then I would suggest a straight grip to allow your hand tha ability to slip into correct position for second shot. They will work but trouble is many don't shoot same placement of both barrels. I would advise checking on patterning board or paper prior to using.

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Bushmaster, just take that 31 out and give it a try at doubles, It knows how to break em. I taught it a little bit about shooting doubles. Not much though, but all I knew. A pump will do ok, if the shooter does his part.

Gne J

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Skeet & doubles takes more than an average shooter.

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Yes you can use a pump for doubles, I have seen it done many time with pretty good success and I have done it myself and had a ball doing it ... Winchester Model 12's that are well broke in work best, unless your name is Rudy Etchen ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

vic reinders taught me how to shoot doubles with a pump. he used a rem 31 tc , i use a rem 870. i will give you a tip about shooting doubles with a pump that vic gave me and it works. i use to try shooting to fast and on the 2nd shot, the gun would jam due to me short stroking the gun when pumping it. vic told me put a dummy shell first into the magazine tube, use a different shell than you normally would use, fill it with shot, use a used primer so you don't mix up your shells. vic told me having that 3rd dummy shell in the gun keeps the other shell in line to help prevent short stroking. the other tip i can give you, i purchased a longer forearm for my 870, and i have never short stroked the 870 again with the extended forearm. 2 weeks ago i had a 92 in doubles pumping them, and i also shot skeet and had a 49. i enjoy pumping doubles, it is more fun for me. on the other hand if i was very serious about shooting doubles in ata shooting i would consider a o/u or semi auto. i do feel that i missed a couple of targets that i probably would of hit if not using the pump. while pumping i sometimes rush the 2nd shot. vic told me no need to rush, as he would sometimes hit the 2nd target a foot or less off the ground. regardless, it is fun pumping doubles.
    good luck,
    steve balistreri

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Now, throw in a release trigger.......

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Don't forget to play all the options...thanks.

Curt

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I'm not nearly as good with my BPS at doubles, but I sure have a lot more fun with it! Skeet is much easier than doubles with a pumper for me.

AndyH ;-)

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have tried it. It was fun. My score suffered. I have seen others do it well, but I have seen other shooters do a lot of things that I can't do. As stated above, adding a release trigger would complicate things a bit.

Pat Ireland

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

It is a blast. If you are comfortable with a pump, go for it. I use an 870 for about everything....but am moving to an 1100 for skeet. I often win the "report" doubles at our club over the over/unders and autos but I think most of them are too worried about the first shot and don't get ready for the second.....straightaway on the first, pump as you're swinging and pick up the second one...you know where they're going.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The pump will add a level of difficulty in the doubles event but in a way it may help you become a better doubles shooter as you will be very aware of the limited amount of time you have for shooting the targets. It is a lot of fun at any rate and after a bit of practice you will notice that working the slide has become almost an automatic response that you don't really think about.

If and when you want to take your game to the next level then you will probably want a good O/U, but in the meantime get that pump gun out there and have a blast!

16. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Can't answer for the average shooter but I have a friend that swears he can't hit singles targets because he does not know which direction they will go. He has shot 100 straight doubles though with his 20 gauge pump.

Bob

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The nice thing about a Mod12 is that it will slamfire if you hold the trigger back.

I shoot skeet with a Mod12 or two and doubles, if I am at a club shoot...that way I can stop and pick up my hulls. At a registered shoou, I use a 3200, and don't let the hulls hit the ground. With the Mod12, I pull the trigger on the 1st bird, hold it back and shuck it into the 2nd bird, and it fires.

Shooting skeet...ever put 4 shells in the gun at station 4 and tell the puller "2 pairs, one call!" Thats 4 birds in the air! FUN!

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ahab...let's shoot a round of skeet together one day!!! Fun in the sun now, but maybe in the Fall...

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

OK1

Bring money!

20. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

The late Ted Bachuber, founder of MEC used a pump..............said he had nothing better to do between shots anyway..............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.