1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone tell me exactly what I have here

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by BrowningPotato, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

0   0   0

I was hoping some of the vast knowledge on this site can help tell me exactly what I have here. I know it is a BSA Martini International 22lr, however I know there are various types (i.e. Mk I, Mk II, etc.) From pictures I have found on the internet it looks like something refered to as a "freelander" model because it has the foregrip and buttstock "thing". This is the heaviest rifle, besides a .50 cal Barrett that I have ever handled (likely 15-20lbs), let alone a .22, this thing has got to be ungodly accurate. I have never shot this gun but would like to know a little more about it and what it may be worth, any information would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

0   0   0

Some barrel markings... unfortunately there is a name engraved on the receiver

3. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

0   0   0

The heaviest barrel I have ever seen on a .22, almost 1" in diameter and 3" in circumfrence

4. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

0   0   0

I have a guess. It’s got a similar look to the guns I seen in the last winter Olympic games except for this one looks antique. It was cross country skiing and shooting. More than likely I am not even close.
    Craig

5. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

0   0   0

Mk II BSA Smallbore target rifle...usually shot prone at 20 or 25 meters. Some have been successfully rechambered for .22mag or .22Hornet. The rifle is probably over 40 years old, but has been 'pimped' with Anschutz style accessories. Mega-heavy...Wicked-accurate. Cheers-Graham.

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

0   0   0

That model was used as a free style, or off hand . How does it shoot??Joe

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The hook butt, the hand stop, and the palm rest were probably made by Al Freeland unless they were from Parker Hale in England. My MKll is very similar to yours except mine is left handed. They are one fine gun. The fact that yours has all the accessories and sights makes it a nice collector gun and/or shooter. I don't think they make anything like that any more. When I saw mine in a local gun store, I know I had absolutely no use for it. I just knew I had to have it. Mine has a Unertl Tube Sight on it, similar in appearance to a Unertl Target Scope but with no optics. I have not shot mine yet, but plan to some day.

8. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

0   0   0

I also have one and it is very accurate. If you wish to have the engraved name removed talk to Phil Filer at Glenrock Blueing. He is a master at that and quite reasonable. Shoot it and enjoy it.

9. eightbore

0   0   0

I wouldn't have the name removed. It is part of the charm of the rifle and may be a famous shooter. What is that name? I googled "al freeland" and learned more about Martini target rifles than I ever wanted to know. One source, rifleman.org.uk provided me with ten pages of Freeland Martini Mark l and Mark ll information that I copied for the file on my rifle.

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

That is just so totally cool! I have wanted one of those forever and have absolutely no use for it. hahahaha But I may get one anyway someday.

Charlie

11. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

0   0   0

I knew some of you would come through with some valuable information. I, like some of you, think it is a neat rifle but I do not really have a use for it and was thinking about selling it. I have seen some prices for the MK II but I have never seen a price for a Freelander with the accesories, which I am assuming would add to the value. Anyone have any idea what this thing would be worth? I would consider it in very good condition except for the engraved receiver and a small surface scratch on the stock.

12. eightbore

0   0   0

Many of the MKll Martinis sold in this country were sold through Freeland with Freeland accessories. Freeland equipped Martinis are not unusual.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

ISU(International Shooting Union) rules limit the weight on that gun to 17.5 lbs. Used in ISU competions at 50 meters. 60 shots in the prone position, called the English Match, and 40 shots prone 40 shots offhand and 40 shots kneeling called the 3 position match are both Olympic events. HMB

14. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

0   0   0

I have had alot of interest in this gun but really do not know what to ask for it. I have seen them priced online from roughly $600-$1500 (the $1500 one was one similar to this one with all the accessories) Any idea of what I should reasonably ask for this rifle, from what I have read they are rare and in high demand.

15. DocJim

DocJim Member

0   0   0

In addition to the International matches they were also used in the 50 foot gallery rifle matches. Left-handed shooters liked them because the action was a short throw lever; left-handed bolt .22 match rifles were not common in the days when the Martini was popular.................AJ

16. eightbore

0   0   0

My left handed gun would be very handy to load if I could get past the stock.

17. Mapper

Mapper Member

0   0   0

I have my Dad's that he eventually converted to a varmit rifle, + the rimfire bbl and sights. They fell out of favor when the 52 Winchester showed up, but are pretty accurate. Friend of mine won a state smallbore championship with one after WWII.

18. eightbore

0   0   0

What exactly did you Dad convert his Martini into? What centerfire caliber and how was it done? The Model 52 appeared in the mid twenties. Is that when the BSA Martini target rifle "fell out of favor"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.