1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CAN ANYONE MAKE THEIR OWN HEVI SHOT?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mikee, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikee

mikee TS Member

Just wondering is it possible to make your own hevi shot,as I have read that with 1/2 choke it is possible to get a 90% score in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards. Could this be possible?. Would make some duck load.

Mike.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is easy to duplicate the irregular shapes found in hevi shot. I do not know about the material in this shot.

Pat Ireland

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Considering that hevi-shot is about 60% tungsten and that tungsten has the highest melting temperature of any metal (±6200º F). working with it in the garage might present some engineering challenges.

Mike

4. mikee

mikee TS Member

I know about making irregular shaped shot allright. I have been trying to make round shot and have succeeded in making some of the wierdest shapes you could imagine. I had no idea that such high temps would be nescessary to make hevi shot so I suppose making it at home is out of the question. The price makes it very expensive for the ordinary shooter. However if you have as many anti shooters as we have in the uk, no doubt we will all be forced to find an alternative regardless of the cost. Thanks for the advice.

Mike.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Pat, Those square pellets make square holes in the pattern paper. Shape of the pellet is vastly overrated. I had a batch of Hornady #3 shot that was egg shaped. It also shot full choke percentages at 70 yards through my 10 ga magnum. Jeff

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

There may well be some method to the lack of uniformity in the shape of hevi shot pellets. This is from the above web page:

<blockquote>"By all that is known regarding shotshell ballistics, Hevi-Shot should not pattern well. I've heard it described as "looking like something you would scrape from the bottom of a pipe bowl." There is little uniformity or roundness to it. Close examination reveals oblong, misshapen No. 4 pellets with 7 1/2s bonded to them. Apparently we've been missing the boat on uniformity. Pellet shape may not have been as important as previously thought when considering pattern density. And while this may sound like heresy, Hevi-Shot is proving that a sphere is not necessarily the best shape for shot. Hevi-Shot's misshapen pellets seem to have a shuttlecock effect, and regardless of size or shape, they refuse to leave the pattern and deliver 80 to 90 percent of the payload at 40 yards, with greater than 60 percent at 60 yards being the norm. To further complicate matters, it delivers these tight patterns without the need for a lot of choke. HS is producing patterns from a modified choke that you could previously only get with full or extra-full chokes. In fact, it doesn't like to be over-choked, which means we can leave the turkey chokes at home."</blockquote>

Quite an interesting article...the business about "refusing to leave the pattern" is intriguing.

Mike

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I know most of the "exotic" non toxic ammo is made from a powder and is held together with a polymer.

Hevi-shot, may have powdered tungston mixed with molten iron to gain the density it claims to achieve.

So needing the temps just to melt iron and to add the tungston powder would be a little costly, besides being a little warm on the kitchen stove.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I make my own heavy shot from partially depleted uranium I found in an old barrel near Hanford. Have to melt it with an oxy-acetelyne torch. On the bright side, I don't have to turn on any lights in the garage. And the shot acts like tracers at night. And there are no more mice or ants in the garage.

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brian, You cracked me up. Dave :>}

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

SXJeff, I can relate to the egg shaped shot working good. I had about a hand full of shot that looked very much like mouse droppings. A shotmaking experiment that didn't work out. I loaded them up, about 10 shells. They looked good on the pattern plate even though the marks were very oblong. They broke 16s well too. Didn't try them at handicap. The pellet count per load was pretty low.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.