1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone Identify this mushroom?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kent, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kent

Kent TS Member

Last year on this same spot I picked an Oyster mushroom that made the best soup I have ever had. In the last 2 weeks this specie has grown, and it looks a little different than I remember. One guideline I use is that if the insects like it then so shall I. The warm day yesterday had a lot of bugs around it. I have asked the collective knowlege on this site before about mushroom questions and I am tapping the till again. lol
    [​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hen of the Woods??

Matt

3. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

please send a small sample to my ex wife

my favorite "shroom"tester

lol

4. Kent

Kent TS Member

are they edible?

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Many mushrooms listed as poisonous are merely hallucinogenic.

Send me a sample.

HM

6. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sir--

That was meant to be a joke

Not meant to identify

7. grntitan

If its a Hen of the Woods, yes very edible. Don't use my ID of it as gospil. I would need to see it in person and even then i'm not the best on Mushrooms. Hen's usually grow at the base of a tree. Now if it was a Morel, i'd have you send 'em to me to test.

Matt

8. grntitan

Actually the more i look at it, the less i think its a Hen of the Woods. Here is a pic of what they look like around my parts. Also, don't trust the bugs. They eat cow shit too. Does that make it edible for you??--Matt

[​IMG]

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

The only mushrooms I know come on pizza and steaks but I did find this guide that might help you. One thing I did see in the guide is that this does not appear to be the time for "Hen of the Woods" to be harvested. It is listed more for summer and fall harvest.

Mushroom Guide

10. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

An excellent book for the Mushroom hunter is the Audubon Society Guide to Mushrooms of North American, lots of pics and zones where they are found.

11. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

According to Audubon field guide there is a "fall and winter version" of the oyster mushroom. It is rounder and more brownish than the summer version. My rule is if in doubt its POISON. Be safe.

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Take a pic of the bottom side and i can tell you what it is for sure. They look to be the oyster mshrooms found here in Illinois this time of year. I am betting a lot it is edible and probably growing on dead wood like an old rotten stump. The best rooms you will find grow in the wet winter weather here in the midwest.

13. TC

TC TS Member

Take one to your county extension office. They will be able to identify or tell you who can.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Many mushrooms listed as poisonous are merely hallucinogenic. "</i>

We have one here that destroys your kidneys. Completely.

Every few years someone winds up needing a kidney transplant. The worst was an "expert" mushroom picker who fed a salad full of them to his family and relatives. By the time diner was done several people needed new kidneys.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Ask the county agent, Mr. Haney.

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

I wouldnt eat that thing if I were starving !!!!!!!!

17. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Those are not oyster mushrooms. oysters grow on wood only. and it would be unusal to find them on stumps. either the trees are on the ground vertically or dead standing. however I do not know what kind of mushroom this is.

GS

18. Lugerville

Lugerville TS Member

My bet is Panus conchatus. Search that name for more info and photos. I did have some before and they were no very good, kind of tough/chewy.

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Many years ago when we got out of the hospital with mushroom poisoning , my father was notified that we had picked Orange Jack-O-Lantern which looked exactly like the regular wooded version we have been pickin and eating for many years . Most of these were in the button stage and when opened they have an Orange color/powder on the under veins whereas the regular ones had a tan color. 4 of 6 were hospitalize but we didn`t have to have our stomachs pumped since most of it was out prior to getting to the hospital. I still love mushrooms but not from the woods .

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I say GO FOR IT. They look delicious, so they are probably OK. Sometimes somethings may not look or smell edible, but you still eat them anyway.

JMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.