1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone Identify a recoil reducing mechanism?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martin_CA, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

I've got an odd, friction based recoil reeducing mechanism, which goes in the butt. No name on it but there's an emblem, which looks like a "V" with a stylized shooter. The mechanism is a rack & pinion friction ratchet wheel, with two giude rods.

2. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

Thanks, is there name associated with that type? Age? It's on an early BT-99.

3. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

Excuse my terrible mouse sketching, but the symbol looked like this. I didn't take a pic when I had it apart because my hands were all greasy.

4. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

Actual Pictures. No name or patent numbers on this thing. Can anyone recognize this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I do not know what it is but it sure is different looks like a old design. The question is how does it work have you shot it ??
    Buddy

6. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

I haven't shot it yet. The only ISIS recoil system I can find on the internet is some kind of polymer foam system. This is completely mechanical. There's a spring around the thinner guide rod, under that accordion cover.

Is there a maker or name associated this system?

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Browning.. early model

8. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Does that symbol remind anyone else of a figure of an Olympic shooter, or the symbol used in Olympic shooting sports??

9. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

TrapshooterJoe7 , if you have one still new in the box, would it be possible to get a picture of the labelling on the box?

10. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

We were buying those in the late 80’s for about $12.00 each. I must have ordered 15 or 20 of them for my buddies and me. They came from a place called Shotgun Specialties out of Redmond Washington.

The boxes had no markings on them but the very narrow black glue on Recoil pad said “Browning” on it. We were told that they were a prototype that was never used, don’t know if that was true or not.

We put them on some 10-gauge goose guns and they worked fine until the temperature got down to about zero and then they would freeze up and just be a solid block. I’ll still have one or two of them around here if I can find one tomorrow I will post a picture of it in the box.

Jim R

11. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I bought a few in the early 90's.. I thought I was told it was a replacement recoil system for ..??? maybe a BT99?? At $25.00 a pop.. I used a few on project guns I was fooling around with.. They actually worked pretty good.. Sold my last few on E-bay.. years ago.. Think I got something like $50.00 each for them..

13. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

Did you use the supplied hard plastic buttplate or did you have a softer rubber one on it?

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If I remember the story right they were designed and built in Germany for the Browning guns and then shipped to Japan for installation. The Japanese did a few but then refused to because they were not made in Japan.

Browning then dumped them on the market to get rid of them.

Someone may have better details but I got that from a Browning employee at Arnold Mo.

Ajax

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I heard that Hitler originally wanted these in all of his soldiers guns because they were always complaining to him about their sore shoulders. He then told the Japanese Emperor that he would become an ally ONLY if the Japanese would install these devices for him because he was far too busy with the war and a pesky Volkswagon recall. The Japanese refused and this is still a bitter subject to this very day.

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Tron, No breakfast yet?? You put something different in you this morning. Better check your pills, (LOL) Shoot often while we can, Bob

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Couldn't have happened quite that way Tron. The German soldiers never complained to Hitler-they had heard of Stalingrad!

Ajax

18. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have always wondered why the Germans and the Japs didnt see eye to eye..

19. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Tron first the shoes now this German Japanese covert secret action they never had any Volkswagon /Toyota recalls these were the first new bumper guards called bumperettes for their imported cars back in the 1970's I first saw them in a hazy vision on a VW van at a Greatfull Dead Concert .

20. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recoil reducing mechanism