1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone ID this aluminum case/brand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigdave35180, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

Bought a used Citori XT and it was in this case....it is very high quality and very heavy...there are no markings on the case anywhere...the lock mechanism appears identical to Americase but several people that have seen it said it was not an Americase....any ideas....thanks...David

2. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

3. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

That looks like a Colorado Custom Case. The link I have to there website doesn't seem to work but I have another link for someone that sells the cases. I have included above.

Bob Lawless

5. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi david and bob, this is not a colorado custom case. it looks like a very good case. doug hubbart colorado custom cases

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If you pick it u[p and it breaks your back it is an Americase.

7. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Looks like an Americase by the lock and latches and the center panel.

8. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

Birdogs....it must be an Americase then...it is a nice case but is a backbreaker to tote around...I think I'm gonna get a cheap Plano or some other much lighter case just to go back and forth to the gun club...it would be great for traveling or shipping gun but to for normal use it is way too heavy...

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

It is not an Americase. The latches are in the wrong place and Americase has the satin finish hard anodizing on the aluminum frame. That hard anodizing adds quite a bit to the price of the raw materials. There was a company started by ex Americase employees that was in business for about a year that copied Americase's design, even using the same suppliers for raw components. They quickly folded. I'll bet your case was made by the copycat company.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Who cares if it's a copycat case. That's a damned fine piece; looks like it even has rubber seals between the box and the lid!

MK

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Its a Dan Walter case:

http://www.dakotaarms.com/DakotaMag/DMwin05/DMwin05pg7.pdf

12. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

Thanks skeet_man...that is definitely it...A Dan Walter case...at $450-600 new I guess it was a good case to be included with the deal...I just wish I hadn't gone to the Dakota website...I have a sickness for beautifully engraved little single shot rifles with exhibition grade walnut....

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What component makes the Americase so heavy?

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Sure not the weak glue they used for a while.Ray

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Double Heavy reinforced aluminum extrusions with corner brackets and welded corners are what starts the Americases. That strength weighs something. I figure the cost of a good trap gun as well as all my personal time and expense getting the gun fitted and customized exactly how I want warrants protecting it well. If I cannot carry the 5 or 6 extra pounds difference between a quality case and a cheap case, I probably better find a different sport. Almost all the trap shooters I know carry 40-60 extra pounds anyway, mostly over the front of the belt.

16. skeet_man

My gun (Kolar Skeet w/ tube set) survived this:<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=39796_1391872911755_1080091095_30869102_6409955_n.jpg" target="_blank"> 39796_1391872911755_1080091095_30869102_6409955_n.jpg </a>

completely unharmed due to it being stored in an Americase (americase was heavily damaged, but not even minor damage to my gun). My gun is fully insured for MSRP, so it wouldn't have been the end of the world if my gun was totaled, but it would have been inconvienent, and would have cut my season 25% short. I can count on one hand the number of gun cases I'd trust to do the same, and they are all very similar in design to the americase, which near as I can tell, was the originator of its basic design, and thanks to Mike @ Silver Dollar Firearms, my Americase was as cheap, or cheaper than any of the viable alternatives. It may be a little heavier than some of the alternatives, but its maybe 75 steps from where its stored to the car, then 75 steps from the car back into the house when it comes home, and for the extra protection, I'll live w/ the weight...

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

It's a Dan Walter case. Tony Galazan ended up with some, may still have some. I have one that came from Tony and it is a perfect fit for my crossover Parker pigeon gun. They were quite expensive as I recall.

18. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

wow, i'm surprise any one made it out of that [telephone pole? hope every one is ok steve

19. skeet_man

Nutty- Rear ended by a teenaged girl. I had to slam on my brakes from 50 to a complete stop to avoid 2 deer that ran out in front of me, and apparently she never saw me stop, and hit me at full force. Near as I can guess, she had enough time to jerk the wheel to the right, thats why the impact looks the way it does.

20. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, anyone using Pelican cases ?

They are just a little lighter than Americase, water proofed, and the corners are lot more friendly to whatever (car paint) or whoever (next person in line) it bumps into.

I know U.S. military is using them, my two Pelican cases survived trips to Africa, one time they got dropped to the ground from a 4 feet high loading truck in a pouring rain, then a 300 lb wooden crate landed on one of them. It took a good 10 minutes in the rain for them to move that crate off my gun case. I thought I'll be shooting without scopes if I still have straight barrels on my rifles, but to my (and everyone else's) surprise, my Zeiss & Swarovski (both mounted on rifles) were undamaged at all. Not a trace of water inside the case. All clocks & latches worked like before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.