1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

can anybody build 8 ga resizer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Anybody out there have the ability to build a 8 ga resizer? Also looking for a roll crimper for 8 ga. Bill

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

PR and BPI have the roll-crimpers, and the swager is pretty simple, if a little kluge-y.

I had a local machine shop turn one out of a piece of sch80. It was two-ended. I clamped it in a vice and swaged with a rubber hammer.

- 'A' took the shelf down from .95± to .935-ish

- 'B' was the more critical operation, as it shaped the radius at the rim, and pulled the last .008? out.

Those measurement are from memory, but the shop built it from a print I found on the 'net.

8ga heads are all brass, and they are not that hard to shape.

If you call Tom Armbrust, he might have a swaging rig you could borrow & copy. My die is ... 'elsewhere' (apparently permanently), or you could have it.

Bob

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Jeeze Bill, as if the 10ga wasn't a big enough advantage for you. I'll say it again and for the last time: You CAN NOT use anything bigger than a 12ga (and NO, 3" and 3 1/2" shells are also frowned upon) in ANY type of registered shooting.

Now, try and get that straight Bill and pass that along to your boy as well.

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bill, do you plan on sizing them by hand or do you have a loader?

5. BILL GRILL

Actually I talked with Tom Armbrust on the phone yesterday and bought his book.
    He offered to resive my hulls but I thought if I could get one built I would do that. I do not have a loader. From what I understand you load them by hand and roll crimp on drill press?

Tron, Need every advantage I can get!

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ok Bill, send me a PM.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You can shoot an 8 ga all you want but you are not permitted to hunt with it. Its as far as I know illegal to do so. You had better check your game laws for the state you hunt.

8. doubleman

doubleman Member

You need to contact John Millar in Grand Forks B.C Canada he makes loading tools for the big stuff 4's and 8's. He does very good work and has lots of experience.
    Good Luck

9. Duck

Duck Member

rustygun,

My fillings hurt just looking at that shell!.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

How big are the wheels on that cannon?

11. BILL GRILL

Auctioneer, It is illegal to hunt migratory waterfowl with it, you can hunt anything else with it in Michigan.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

For Pete's sake Bill, isn't that a little heavy for woodcock?? Or are you still road hunting the poor grouse??

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Goatskin, how hard is it to get the shell out of the sizer once you squeeze it in there?

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I lubed the throat just a bit and pushed with a wood dowel or a nut-driver and it wasn't an issue at all.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.