1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anybody beat the price on this fish fry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    There is a restaurant in Hartford Wisconsin That has a Wednesday and Friday fish fry that is just to good to believe. You are served, 4 to 6 pieces of fried cod fish, french fries, coleslaw, rye bread, Oh, before I forget, It is all the fish you can eat! Fish fries are very popular in Wisconsin. The price is not $10.99, not $8.99, not even $6.99. IT IS 4.99!!!! The restaurant is the Mine Shaft. I have been going there this past year, and I can not believe the price they charge. Only one catch, pardon the pun, You can not take any fish home other than the original amount that you get with your original order. If you want extra fish to eat, no charge, eat all you want. But they won't let you take the extra fish home. Anyone able to beat this price? How much do you pay for fish fry's in your neck of the woods. Know of any good ones?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

OK Steve just where about is Hartford, Wisconsin? Ann and I love fish frys and we are going to be up there in November. We fly into MKE.

Thanks for the info.

Philip Santos

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It would cost me about $600 in fuel, not a good deal.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve that is a good deal, but we have a 7 acre pond in our backyard, and my wife loves to fish, and she doesn't mind cleaning and filleting them either, and she's a real good cook so I get all the fried fish that I want, but it's not cod, it' either catfish, crappie, bluegill or bass. And she likes to bake so we always have fresh home made bread

She even goes to Sam's and buys all my beer

I'm one of the luckiest guys in the world

5. Cray

Cray Member

Catpower: What ever you do, don't EVER do what Tiger did!!!!!!! Cray

6. senior smoke

Philip:
    Hartford Wisconsin is about 45 minutes northwest of MIlwaukee. In November remind me that you are coming, if my wife and I can make it on a Friday night you can follow us there. It is always busy, but it is a neat place.
    Steve Balistreri

7. senior smoke

Catpower:
    Now that's a good deal. I have to go back to work, Customers just walked in.
    Steve

8. Catpower

Cray, don't worry I would never do that, she is the sweetest, prettiest, and nicest woman I have ever met, Nov 28 will be 24 yrs, and they all have been great years

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Steve, do they make any money on you?

I think I could get them close to the break-even point, but I know a few guys who I think could close them down.

10. Hungarian

Hungarian TS Member

I wish there was a place like that near to where I live. I love fish but the restaurants around here can't cook it right.

11. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Deep fry, choose your own batter. Use peanut oil, heat to 450 deg, chunk em in and let fry till they float. Pull them out, let sit on news paper for a while to drain any excess oil off and serve. My batter plain and simple, cornmeal, flower add salt, pepper and garlic (i mix it all in a plastic gallon ziploc bag) put filets in bag shake good and put them in the fryer.

Good luck

Bob

12. Cray

Cray Member

Catpower, I'm going on 47 years! Cray

13. senior smoke

Rickn:
    If i was eating with my fellow shooting friends they would probably ask us to leave. When I am with my wife I don't even ask for seconds as she is always watching my weight,(go up)! A few years ago a friend of mine went to out of state to shoot. He told me that he went to a place that offered all you can eat steak and he was on his 7th steak and the owner cut him off and asked him to leave. How embarrassing, he was with his shooting buddies and he refused to leave. The owner called the police and when my friend told them that the restaurant advertises all you can eat steak, the police said my friend was correct, and suggested to the owner to keep serving him. I really don't know how many more steaks he ate, but the owner told him never to come back as he was leaving. When a restaurant is all you can eat, I feel funny asking for more than one additional order to eat.
    Steve

14. Catpower

Glad to hear it Cray, soounds like you're a lucky one too

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve we have a very good place around here that has all you can eat catfish, but its $9.99 a plate with all the fixings as well. I have no problem asking for seconds. No thirds are mostly out of the question these days. Now I do think that the cod might be a bit tastyier than the local catfish though. But the local dolphin,tuna,wahoo,sailfish,kingfish,snapper more than make up for it. Break-em all. Jeff

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Can't beat that for quantity, but for quality, the best fish & chips, bar none, are at a little stand in a vacant lot in Astoria, Oregon. It's actually a converted fishing boat of the type called a "bowpicker", and that's the name of the place. It's across the main drag from the Maritime Museum. Every morning the owner goes down to the fishing boats and buys fresh Albacore Tuna. They serve it until they run out. The fries are the big plank or steak fries. There's no room for seating in the boat, but there are a couple of picnic tables, and canned drinks are in coolers. Simple, and the best fish & chips ever. Better than halibut.

I was just out in Astoria doing work a week ago, and had fish & chips at the Bowpicker. My wife Valerie was jealous. She loves their fish & chips.

17. senior smoke

Brian in Oregon:
    That sounds really cool. Wish we had something like that here. In fact, In MIlwaukee we are on the shores of Lake Michigan, that could be a good business for someone here.
    Steve

Jeff:
    There is only one fish that I don't really care for, I think it is named Tampia??? Everytime I have had it, seems like there is no taste to it. Maybe it's just the way it is cooked, don't know?
    Steve

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

At the GRAND.. Remington set up next to Giacomo... John.. the master gunsmith for Remington is a friend of mine.. They had a fish fry 2 nights up there.. Despite my long hours.. I stayed after hours for both.. Best damn catfish I ever ate.. Great people to work with too..

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, I think the fish you are trying to refer to is called Talipia. A fresh water fish that has no taste at all. People who do not like the taste of fish will eat fish that has little to no taste. This allows one to place whatever flavor they like into the fish when cooking. Oregon and Washington have great tasting offshore fishing as well. The problem with most of the coldwater fish is that they are very high in the "bad" cholesteral for your heart. While the warmer water fish down here offers much more healthier fish to eat as it does not have that problem. That said I still enjoy eating most of these colder types of fish when I can find them even if they are frozen which really kills the taste of all fish and seafood. One day perhaps I hope to visit some of there fresh off the boat seafood. Now remember to eat some fish this Friday before we all shoot this weekend. Break-em all. Jeff

20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It don't get no better than a speck filet. Well, maybe a dozen of them for starters. I fish mostly in the spring for them but sometime fish for them in Oct/Nov time frame. Oh, and don't forget the cheese grits. Most places in my area(South Georgia) serve catfish so I catch my own. I don't know anyplace that can beat that price though.

Brian, I miss the fresh Salmon cooked on the grill for breakfast. I don't remember the name of the place in Eugene Oregon we ate at but it was very, very good. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.