1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can all u can eat restaurants say u had enough?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 19, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    For father's day, one of my children gave me an all you can eat gift certificate to a Brazilian steak house for my wife and I. My wife is luckily 100lbs soak n wet, and let's just say I should belong to the clean plate club.
    I told my son I really appreciate his gift, but having his mother with me to eat, there is no way I can have more than 1 helping of meat. I said your mother eats like a bird, and so do I, a Vulture.

Now here's the point to my thread. A friend of mine who is tall and huge and is a trapshooter went a few years back to shoot in San Antonio Texas. He and some other friends went to an all you can restaurant and after he ordered his 7th, that right, 7th NY strip steaks, the manager told him he had enough.

When my friend started arguing the manager called the police and the police said your sign says all you can eat and you can't stop him from ordering. He ended up eating 1 more steak and left. On his way out the manager told him to never come back.

Now let's face it, what human can eat that much steak? To me this is rude and embarassing to expect a business to serve you that much food.

What do you think, if a business offers all you can eat, should they have the right to cut you off from eating any more?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. drgondog

drgondog Member

I was tossed from a joint in Throckmorton, TX after my third pass after a 10 mile hump looking for and shooting blue quail...

Really - I would have been fine after two and I didn't complain. I actually paid for another meal to split the difference.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Steve, I believe that unless they post a sign stating something to the effect of reasonable portions, they must keep bringing the food. However, it is crude for someone to take advantage of a place like that. They can't stay in business very long with someone doing like that. Jackie B.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

All you can eat means all you can eat ...If he ate the last steak it was part of all he could eat ... If they do not post limits and advertise all you can eat thats tough on them ... I went to the Rio in Vegas and eat 14 plates of crab legs and lobster tails, nobody said anything other than would you like another plate ..? I could of ate more, I didn't want to make a pig out of myself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

There are certainly people out there who can make the statement "all you can eat" a loosing proposition for the restaurant owner who made it. But I see another side of this. Many people who have small appetites go to buffets just for variety and eat very little. Considering the price of eating out, it probably all evens out for the restaurant owner, unless they are as greedy as the person who eats a boatload of steak.

6. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I need ten more pounds to make AA-27

/joke

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Now that was so funny Mnguns.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Isn't gluttony one of the big 7 no-nos?

Seriously does it matter if its free of if you have to pay for more food? Have some class.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I go to a place twice a year that serves all you can eat crawfish for $10 and they never say you have had enough. They make their money on the beer. I once ate three pop flats full. Had to go lie down before I jumped back on the harley LOL I am a skinny dude but I like to eat

10. senior smoke

I just got a PM from a woman who use to be a waitress at a place that was all you can eat. After a certain amount they took his order request and slowed down bringing the food to the table. Eventually, most said they could not wait that long and left.

Now my wife who will be dinning with me at this above mentioned steak house, will not even finish 1 steak. We will lose out going to a place like this. Sure, I could eat more than one helping but she always says " please don't embarrass me", so I don't?
    Steve

11. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Veteran of getting the boot 1n 1975 at Anchor Inn, 51st & Howard, Milwaukee, Wi.
    They served an all you can eat seafood buffett. Brought in a portion of the High School football team from Muskego. We were politeily asked to vacate after devouring their supply.

12. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Steve, I think you'll be happily surprised at how Brazilian steak houses are run... Typically you're not ordering anything other than drinks -- Gauchos walk around with giant skewers of meat and just stop by to cut off a few slices for you. There's a little "token" on the table next to each person with different colors on each side. One color means "keep it coming", and the other color means "hold off". They typically have 10-12 different cuts of meat going around the place at the same time, and as long as you have your token turned to the good side they'll keep coming to your table. Once in a while someone may ask you if there's a particular cut of meat that you would like to have sent to your table. The most difficult thing to do is keep a section of your plate empty for the next hunk of meat that is coming...

--Dan

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I think it would be a case of false advertising to post all you can eat and then limit someone that has paid the price to buy a place at the table. That said people shouldn't make pigs of themselves.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    An all-you-can-pig buffet here got sued and lost for booting a huge-by-large guy who cleaned out their fried chicken bin on every pass. No link, this was back in the 1980s when people still read newspapers.

15. trapshooter88

trapshooter88 TS Member

I recently went to a place in ocean city md where they had all you can eat crabs. Well if all you can eat is about a plate. Yeah sure it's all you can eat. Personally I can eat a lot of crabs

16. senior smoke

Dan:
    My boy told me basically the same thing as you. Instead of a token you have a light at the table at this place he said.
    Steve

Remdog:
    Although I never went to the Anchor in on Howard ave, I am almost certain that I heard about that place. One time my parents took my wife and I to a place called the Sweden house at the Spring Mall shopping center on South 76th street.

Some customer was yelling at a guy because they ran out of ribs. He told the guy that they would be done cooking shortly and the guy still was angry. We were seated in a back room and a guy in a white T shirt had an awol bag with him. He was having his family take fried chicken and then stuffing the chicken in his awol bag.

At these all you can get places you have some serious marathon type eaters.
    Steve

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

All you can eat means all you can eat

Back when I was a youngster, I am sure that all of the places I ate at lost money on me that were all you can eat, but in my later years my appetite had dwindled so they are making it bakc

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

20 years ago in OC Md. We spent a week . Coming to the hotel we passed a place with all u can eat blue crabs. After a few days the guys were getting restless and I remembered the crab place. Six guys went after a couple trays ,they started getting spicy. Half the guys dropped out . A couple more and it was down to two of us. By then They were completely covered, but we finished the tray and it was down to me. We were at a side.table and every time he.had brought some he looked down the hall and glared. I told the waitress to tell the cook he just about had them right and ordered one more tray. Little did he know I had 150hot sauces at home four or five required waivers to buy. We told em we would be back,but the next day the sign was gone. Jeff

19. Avatar

I'm going to have to find one of those Brazilian steak houses.

While the restaurant should have prices set so that everything averages out to profit, I can understand that a big guy having seven orders of steak without showing signs of slowing down might perturb the manager. Still, a few more steaks wasn't going to break the place, so the manager should have taken it in good grace and, if anything, complimented the customer on his appetite. Insulting the customer and calling the police was ridiculous and bad PR...

20. senior smoke

When my friend came back home from San Antonio, he never once mentioned how he shot, only talked about all the places he ate at.

He got up to 500lbs and had his stomach welded or stapled or something. He still looks over weight and he did lose some tonnage.

I asked him will he ever go back to the place that he ate all the steaks? He said sure, he won't remember me. I told him your 6'8" 500 lbs, I think he might recall the day and the guy that almost closed his business down.
    Steve