1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Algae make energy?? Website

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Someone sent me this email with the following website. How true it is, I have no idea but it certainly sounded interesting.

Charlie

http://www.valcent.net/i/misc/Vertigro/index.html

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They've been working on it for some time. They are actually having some results. It's easy to grow and the product they have been able to make was useable. There are still many details to be worked out, but it's interesting. They can grow the stuff in a warehouse and it needs little attention in order to thrive.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Algae, like any other green plant, grows best in sunlight.

Pat Ireland

4. Charlie Becknell

I found it interesting that they said they could make enough oil to supply all of America's energy needs from algae. It would certainly change things if something like this stopped our dependence on foriegn oil.

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

I guess Plankton is what most of the world oil was originally made from. At one point in time the oceans were a thick pea soup of Plankton for millions of years until we had a massive eruption that clouded the earth with C02. Geologists look for Plankton skeletons in rock formations to find oil. So I don't know if you would get oil from Algae if you can my aquarium would be a good place to start.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If they get this going, corn will be $0.94 a bushel. There's a lot of stations with E85 stuck with it now with gas being cheap again. $1.92 for gas and $1.85 for E85 and 15% poorer mileage. That's a no-brainer.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Hmm...maybe the farmers need to start growing algae instead of corn?

8. Charlie Becknell

I have seen some of my colleagues' guns and I wonder of the gunk they have growing on them is algae? I have put enough oil on my guns over the years (I admit to being a habitual gun cleaner) that I have caused global warming. When he said he could get 20,000 gallons of oil from an acre of alagae, compared to 18 gal. from corn, I was impressed.

Charlie

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Charlie,

Valcent is the real deal. If they don't get bought out and buried by big oil it could be really exciting. If you have few bucks to gamble the stock is traded on the over the counter market and is currently 32 cents a share. It does not have to move much to make some money .. OCT symbol - VCTPF.

Happy Holidays!

Bob Schultz

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.