1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Can a Stock with Dura-Touch Coating be Painted

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chuck DeVoid, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

Does anyone have experience and know with certainty if a Browning/Winchester stock with the Dura-Touch coating can be painted over?

I own a Winchester SX-2 Sporting "Signature Red" semi-auto that has the red dura-touch coating on the stock & forearm. I like the gun, reliable, shoot it fairly well for sporting clays, and I can always spot my gun in the gun rack. The only complaint with the Dura-Touch is it's tacky, showing and holding all the dirt until I clean it. Handling dirty shells, pulling birds, etc., all the dirt sticks to the finish. It's not a big problem, I've just gotton tired of dealing with it.

Considering trying to strip the finish would likely be a major ordeal and mess, and I could ruin the pieces, although I have seen some really outstanding custom paint jobs on semi-auto stocks, if I were to try stripping down to the wood.
    Therefore I wonder if I could give a light spray of perhaps an automotive clear coat to resolve the issue. (?) Supposedly the Dura-Touch finish can be damaged with any solvents, bug spray, etc., so I hesitate trying to spray it with anything.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could share any experience or knowledge.

Bill
  2. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

Anyone?

Thanks, Bill
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you paint a duratouch stock

dura touch spray

solvent on duratouch finish