1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can a Pat Trap be READ

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can't read them.

Pat Ireland

2. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Not by me- Does that make me a "Pat-trap illiterate?"

Larry

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

WE have some writing on ours that can be read. But most of our shooters have to wear the old people glasses to read it. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Actually, I am one that thinks that they can be. Not that I try, but I find myself holding my gun in a different spot ever so often and the bird rises right under the gun. I feel my brain is doing what you are calling reading the trap. You must understand...this is all subconscious or whatever that word is.
    The problem is when you go to another club with Pats and their interupters are slightly different. That's bad.

If you want more on this just IM me

Rickyd

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

5. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

6. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I tried to read them when I was shooting a lot more targets per year. Pretty tough. Kinda have to work off the guy in front of you. It's all timing. Sometimes you could stay away from the hard rights on 5 or the hard lefts on 1 but just when you thought you had it, bingo, it would bite you.

I always said I didn't want to get all straight aways. I knew that would be way too tough to figure out. Just let me know which half of the field it was in. I think your scores would go up if you could eliminate half the field. I don't care which half, left or right, just let me know where to look.

AJ100

7. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Of course I read the machine, You don't think I learned how to shoot?

If you are trying to read/manage the trap... With a good squad it's possible to increase the likelyhood of avoiding hard right or left birds. A well timed squad will run in time with the machine, when it starts throwing a hard right or left the next shooter needs to allow a little more time (2 sec?) for the machine to return to the center and then call for the bird. The idea is not to try and guess whether the next bird will repeat a hard angle, but rather to try and keep the machine throwing center targets as much as possible. If you are keeping the machine in the middle, a hard angle is only a slight suprise. If you try and guess a repeat hard right and you get a hard left, you are likely to miss. This plan only works on some machines and requires a good squad.

The machines at the Grand oscillated at a faster rate than most I have shot on. You had to call aprox 3 secounds after the prior shooter to get the same target or wait 6 secounds for it to cycle back to where it should be. Most Pat traps have a 4 to 5 second cycle. It was difficult to read these new machines. It was like the old hand set machines in that if you called soon enough you got the same target as the shooter before you, but at least with the Pats no one is getting their fingers hurt when you rush the trap. AJ

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

ROFLMAO!

If you have ever sat in the house and loaded the machine while a squad shoots you would know that only a fool would think they could read the machine. Anytime someone wants to show up and bet a $1.00 per bird as to whether it will be left, straight or right just let me know and bring $100.00.

Besides, I and most shooters probably miss as many straights or soft angles as hard angles so what's the point?

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I feel that difficult targets can be avoided by monitoring the guy to my left. If he gets a neck snapping right(I'm on say..station 5), and I mount the gun quick enough, I WILL NOT get that hard right. Call it what you want, I call it paying attention.

Tron

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I guess I'll show my ignorance here, I didn't think the PAT kept occillating like the handsets. I thought it jumped directly to its next position and stopped, instead of constant back and forth etc?

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Texshooter, above, has it right. While trying to read a Pat Trap, or even a Super Star, for that matter, is very difficult, you can get close. It is very easy to keep the target in the field you want by watching the trap. To accomplish this, you must pay very close attention to the traps and how they throw the targets. As AJ stated, it all works off the shooter that shoots just before you, and the target he gets. You may never get it to throw all straight aways, but, you can keep the target presentation in the general area you want it to be, most of the time. If you are very good at it, you can ALMOST always keep it from giving you a hard angle target. That being said, be forewarned that trying to read a trap is one of the fastest ways to get yourself in trouble. It can lead to moving your gun before you see the target as you anticipate where the target you are going to get is going to be. Go ahead, ask me how I know that will happen...lol.... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The new machines have interrupters, the old machines moved back and forth and never stopped moving. The new machines still move back and forth, but are programmed to stop moving and then start moving again. They move all the way to the right before changing direction and then move all the way to the left. Sometimes they stop and sometimes they don't. The journey they take is always the same, the cycle keeps repeating and is readable. HMB

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Thanks HMB.

I'm not sure if you guys can do it or not, but in my view it's not worth it.

Besides, I'm told that I always get the easy targets anyway!

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I made every effort to read them for years,----to no avail. If you think you can read a Pat trap,----good luck.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

JBrooks- You offered a bet, so how about this one. I will bet you that I can tell which half of the field the target will be thrown 45% of the time. This gives me a little cushion.

I am convinced that the machine does know when I am on post one or five and it works to make me look foolish. This does require little work.

Pat Ireland

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

There is a shooter in California that was an excellent trap reader, prior to the entroduction of Pats. He then sat in the trap houses (as he previously had done) and studied the machines. He claims to be able to read over 80% of targets from Pats. I don't know how, but his scores continue to prove it. Not as good as when we had the handsets, but then again he is a little older and maybe his mind is not as sharp. - Jim

17. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

If you have fast squad you can read them most of the time.

18. canada

canada Member

For those who "read" the trap, why not just learn how to shoot the hard angles? Seems like a more reasonable approach than leaving it to chance, and being surprised by a bird you aren't anticipating. All reading the trap does is introduce another unnecessary thought into your head.

Jim, as for the California shooter who reads the traps, if his scores prove it, i would have to assume he has a well into a AAA average. If that is the case, i imagine he can shoot the angles as well.

Pat Lamont

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Pat Lamont.. I try to read the trap because it's fun just to see if I can beat the trap, not to shoot a better score. I can usually keep the target in the general area I want it to be about 60-70% of the time if I'm shooting with my normal squad mates. Even though I can do that, I don't count on it, and I shoot my targets the same as if I didn't try it. My scores would definately be much better if it worked all the time for me. I still try to hold my gun until I see the target, and then move to it, rather than anticipating where it's going to be. I will admit, however, I do get suckered into it once in a while, and you can easily guess the results.. Wish I could stop doing it, but, it's become second nature to me now.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The fine art of trap-reading required proficiency in the equally fine art of refusing targets that didn't come out where you thought they would. The introduction of the Canterbury voice release ten years ago put an end to both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.