1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can a handicap shooter-------------?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Is it possible for a handicap shooter, shooting from the 20 yard line, to consistently shoot a score of 95 and remain on the 20 yard line? Taking in consideration that the score of 95 never wins a match. Just wondering. Thanks.

Gne J

2. littlebear

littlebear TS Member

It seems unlikely but possible.
    DTD

3. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Yes, it is classified under the Sandbaging Rule. Allen

4. littlebear

littlebear TS Member

Allen
    I don't think this is sandbagging. TS Hippe stated he never won an event. If it is sandbagging he's not doing a very good job of it.
    DTD

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

DTD, I didn't say that the "hippie" never won a match. Just that the score of 95 never won a match.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, it is unlikely that any shooter can consistently break 95 from any yardage. Last year only six shooters nation wide has a handicap average above 95. Secondly, a 95 will win many handicap events. I randomly looked at 15 shoot reports in the current Trap and Files. Nine of these were won with a score of 95 or less.

Pat Ireland

7. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Pat, I would agree with you if all your looking at is smaller shoots. But I haven't seen a 95 win a big shoot in a long time. Kansas, as windy as it was, wasn't won with a 95.

Hippie, You talkin about someone we know? It is possible, and like they said if he is sandbagging he is doing a real poor job. LOL

Jimmy

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

DTD:

Point of order!

Referring to the trapshootin hippie's unidentified (hypothetical?) shooter who consistently breaks 95's without winning an event you commented, "If it is sandbagging he's not doing a very good job of it."

Au contrare, the whole point of sandbagging is to win money - not events. A truly competent sandbagger breaks a 95 and wins money on three 25's and two 50's. He then 'loses' the event to someone with a 96 or higher thus avoiding a punch.

sissy

9. littlebear

littlebear TS Member

Sissy,

I stand corrected. Guess I just would not make a very good sandbagger.

DTD

10. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I didn't know that crippled people could sandbag, LOL.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If you consistently shot 95's you could get a punch.

This happened to me, and I wasn't even breaking 95's.

This happened over 20 years ago when I went to the Grand. When I got classified the guy mentioned that I had a really good handicap average, but had never been punched.

So he punched me.

I think my average was only a 92 or 93, but he had a formula that he used, as so many out of the last 1000 and throw out the high and the low score and if my average was over a certain break point, he could give me a yard........which he did.

No biggie......All part of the rules......

Hauxfan!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jimmy- If you are only considering major shoots, a 95 will usually not win the handicap event. With 400 shooters, a 95 should not win the handicap event. But, most targets are shot at small shoots and a 95 will place very well at these shoots.

Pat Ireland

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It would seem to me if you have a 95 average and have not been punched you may be living on borrowed time. At your next review you may run into this rule.

F. SPECIAL HANDICAP RULES

3. A shooter’s handicap yardage may be increased at any time during
    the year including immediately before and during the Grand American
    World Trapshooting Championships:
    a. because of earned yardage, or
    b. as a result of a review, or
    c. at the discretion of a member of the Central Handicap Committee
    or voting member of the Executive Committee

I personally can't believe that anyone could get through a review with this kind of an average and not acquire some real estate.

Bob Lawless

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Breaking 95's at most large shoots will likely earn you less money than your entry fee so why should you be penalized. Break a 99 or 100 from the 27yd. line, win all the money, and guess where you'll be standing next week?

Seriously, it is very difficult not to pick up a few half yards with 95's in preliminary events with poor shooting conditions!!

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

95 get a punch often at mid sized shoots.

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

If a shooter can maintain a 94 or so average more power to him/her. However if you go to a major shoot or the Grand you can rest assured you will get a punch when being classified. I have seen shooters punch, at classification, for far less. Even high 16 yard scores or average. - Jim

17. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The only way to receive a valid "punch" is to win a shoot(according to the yardage table of 15 shooters or more), Tie the winning score, or shoot 96 or above. The ONLY other way is by one or more members of the Central Handicap Committee. If ANYONE other than a CHC member gives you an punch for any reason other than the above, it IS NOT a valid punch and should be protested! You can be CODED by the ATA, but again that action is by the CHC.-- Note--Shooting from assigned PENALTY YARDAGE on a shoot to shoot bases is different, but the above reasons are the ONLY ways to get a valid PUNCH on your card.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

slide action- A current member of the EC can also award a punch.

Pat Ireland

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

slide action:

Under the current ATA rules a 'money punch' is also valid.

sissy

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

sissy, you are correct. Punches for a certain monotary award were added a couple of years or so ago to go along with winning scores. It was supposed to be some kind of anti sand bagging rule, but I don't think it will work very well. I admit I didn't know an EC member could arbitarily award punches. I have only heard of CHC members doing so, but a shoot clasifier may not just "give you a punch" because they think you should have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.