1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can a C shooter do it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CBone, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBone

CBone TS Member

Has anyone tested past grand scores to see if a C level shooter can shoot good enough to qualify for the $200,000 lewis money on the total 1,000 targets? That's another way of asking if anyone has researched what score is needed to be in the money on 1,000 grand targets? I know that depends on weather, number of shooters, etc. But is it reasonable for a C class shooter to try? Any thoughts......

Bone

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you know roughly how a Lewis Class option works.

In the standard six-class classification scheme a C class shooter has a singles average of 90 - 93%.

Last year's HOA Lewis scores were:

986, 981, 951, 950, 927, 925, 908, 907, 860, 857

So four scores in the C class range hit the Lewis, and two in the D class range.

The $200k HOA Lewis will be slightly different (5 classes, paid 50/30/20 Percentage, so 15 scores will be paid) but I expect the distribution to be similar.

If anything, the group that is least likely to hit is the AA shooters. But with more people playing, you never know how it might turn out.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you are from Kentucky... yes

4. CBone

CBone TS Member

Thanks V10. I appreciate your comments. I want to shoot the program and play the lewis, but don't know if my averages are good enough to put me in contention for the money.

Bone

5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

With 5 lewis classes, as long as you are not in the bottom 19% you have a chance. Like V10 said above, the people in the AA or AAA classes have almost no chance unless they have the top score (or shoot bad for their average).

On a 5 place lewis, if there were 1000 shooters, all the scores would be divided up in 5th's. So the top of the top 20% would take a cut, the top of the next 20% would take a cut, etc. Since they are doing it 50, 30, 20, that makes it a little more difficult to describe but you would still have to be at the top of each 5th to get any money.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Then of course, if your in the top of one of the 20% units and you tie, the money is split. Let's say you shot a 94 and were tied in first place with eight other people in the 2nd 20% unit. That means those 9 people would split the 50% on first place money in the 2nd group. And let say one person shot a 93 and one person shot a 92. The 93 shooter would get 30% and the 92 shooter would get the 20% of all the money allocated for the 2nd 20% group. Which is 1/5 of the total money in the Lewis.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Stirring the pot a little MIA?

ss

8. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Jack, only so true.........

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Play it!!!! This is one of the best purses to play. It rewards the shooters that may be only so-so. This is the only purse that does. If you lose,well you lost some money. And if you did not play & shot the correct score,how would you feel.

10. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

i am a c class shooter and this weekend i shot 98 96 95 so im sure you can do it. have been shooting for about two and a half months. im also 13

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

perrazi---If you shot 98,96,95, using known ability you should no longer be a "C" shooter either. Welcome to "B" or even "A" class now. Just say'n.........

12. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

well yeah im sure in vernals june shoot ill be b but dosent matter really im still a sub junior

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Good shootin', Perazzi97!

14. grntitan

perazzi97---I meant my post as a good thing young man. It doesn't necessarily read that way though. Up is where you should strive and looks as if your on the right track. And you have only been at it for a little under 3 months? Wow!!! Thats impressive. Many including myself would love that kinda talent just starting out. Sounds like you not only have known ability but you have natural ability. Don't over think it now just keep doing what your doing and the rest will follow.

15. milton03

milton03 Member

Bone,
    I too am an avg Joe with current year avg's 91/83/87 and have been debating whether or not to test the "waters" for the Martin Lewis. Referencing the RJ Stuart site, the "low lewis" scores for the Grand HOA (2006-2010) were 889/888, 862/861, 878/874, 902/901 and 860/857 respectively. With the anticipated increase in entries which IMHO will be heavily weighted to the more accomplished shooters I would expect the "low class" to trend somewhat higher probably in the 880-885 range. Projecting my current avg's over the 1000 targets would result in an 878 which I guess would give me a reasonable chance.

We have a premier campsite and have attended the Grand annually for the full two weeks since its inception in Sparta, hence lodging costs, vacation time etc are not an issue. However, I am concerned at having to shoot the entire program for Grand week which I have not done for several years due to age/health issues.

With the recent change splitting the $200K 50/50 across the daily lewis's and the HOA I guess I probably will jump in. Hopefully the sharks will be kind.

16. CBone

CBone TS Member

It's a costly week when shooting, travel and hotel expenses are totaled. Guess another $200 gives us a chance to recoop some of the expenses. Will be my first time to shoot the entire Grand week.

Bone

17. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

Thanks guys I hope to go a long way, Spanish fork was pretty bad this weekend though oh well! I was surprised with those scores!

18. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Active Member

The lewis option is one that I always play. The way it works it is a gamble either way. For me though I am ahead of the field playing the lewis options. Time may catch up to me some day but I will keep playing.
    Jim Bradbury

19. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I once saw a "C" class shooter break 300+ targets before he missed at the Grand a few years ago. Anything is possible in this sport.

ss

20. grntitan

ss--How do you know he was a "C" shooter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.