Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can #8 1/2 get the job done?

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  BigTuna 
#1 ·
Yes. However, I don't go smaller than #8 under 60 degrees. jmho

#3 ·
I shoot a lot of 9's for 16 yards and doubles, they work great and I think I even get harder hits with them. 8 1/2's should do fine for 16 yards. I think there is a guy that posts on this forum that does very well using 7/8oz of #9's for 16 yards.

#5 ·
r44u77:

I won my KY State 16's championship with them in 1990 as a matter of fact they was extra light Federal gold medals went 375 straight to win and there was 16 200's that year and only 525 total shooters.

So I would say the 8 1/2's could get the job done myself, because I know it was a few top guns that was shooting 7.5's and 8's but for once I got to be the <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">
</a> that day.

Foghorn

#8 ·
Whiz White

I guess you know what I mean because them Federal extra-lite's are nice to shoot and back then I loved the 8 1/2's of course the full helping of 1 1/8 oz of shot might help.

Anyway I choose to shoot Federal new shells just because they all ways acknowledged when someone shot good and would send something in the mail to show that they appreciated them shooting the best shell avaliable.

Ok that was in the 90's so maybe even Whinchester might acknowledege it now days but I doubt it.

I don't know if even Federal would now days or not but if they don't then all I got to say is good luck but i would hate to see Federal to treat their people like Winchester.

Oh well enough about that.

Fog

#10 ·
I won a handicap event (long yardage(27)) this summer with 8 1/2 shot. It was somewhat breezy but didn't change anything; the wind does the same thing to the target taht it does to the shot. Oh, it was with a 94 and shootoff, ran the first 50. Also broke 200 straight on the last years (2007)doubles targets using 7/8 oz. #9 for the first shot and 1 1/8 oz. #8 1/2 for the second shot. If you need a witness I was shooting with Zach Nanini (who is also a top of the line shooter, by the way. Short answer, 8 1/2 works just fine for me. Quicky

#12 ·
For 16's and short caps, they absolutely smoke targets in warm weather. I have shot many straights with 7/8 oz of 8 1/2s at about 1250 fps. One ounce does a great job as well. First shot of doubles works well too. Either 7/8 or 1 oz will do the job. I do prefer at least one ounce of 8s or larger in cold weather, depending on the yardage.

#16 ·
7/8 oz of 8 1/2 about same pellet count as 1 oz of 8's but a nicer pattern in my gun for sure. No problem getting 100's or almost 100's cept in big wind. Maybe just a confidence thing there. I seriously doubt that a target or two lost is a fault of the shot. I have seen many many target rims shot with 7 1/2 and they sail away. Just a lil puff of dust. Maybe two pellets on that target instead of one would of made a dif.

#18 ·
This is where handloading pays off. You can make them any way you want them and not rely on what the manufacturers assemble. All you need to do is find the right components. I have a fairly stable supply of West Coast Premium Shot in 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2, and 9 nearby. I'm convinced 8 1/2 works well. I have used nines at the 16 a few times, but I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a skeeter. :) An even and dense pattern is usually a good thing when it comes to breaking targets. BTW, 7/8 oz of 8 1/2 or 9s for Skeet isn't a bad 12 ga load either. At least that's what the guys in those pink tutu's tell me.

My preference fo 16's in a light 7/8 oz load would be 8 1/2's at about 1250 fps. It will cycle my 1100 reliably enough and I can't tell much difference between them and the 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads in scores or breaks on 16 yd singles. I use an STS or Win AA hull and the Winchester WAA12L Gray wad or clone.

#20 ·
I use 0.6ft/lbs of retained energy as the lower limit for deciding whether a shot/speed combination is suitable for clay target sports. 8 1/2s Launched at 1100fps travel 42 yards before their retained energy drops below that level. So, I'd follow blizzards advice.

#22 ·
I've shot 1 oz 8 1/2's for singles all thru the warm summer without a problem..I've even shot 9's when I found a bag mislabeled. Incidently, 1 oz 8 1/2's work fine for both shots of doubles when it warm. I'm loading them at about 1250 fps and it looks like a swarm of bees when they connect.

Big Jack

#23 ·
Federal no longer makes the Extra-Lite in 8½, unfortunately, as it is/was the sweetest shell around, expecially in paper.

Only thing available is the T175 8½ paper @ 1180 fps, and the T113 plastic.

I should just hang onto my 15 flats of E-L paper 8½ for posterity's sake.

Whiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.