1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can 16 yd. birds be gained by opening choke?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"Choke for what smokes".

2. cls

cls Member

You can't make up for less than perfect precision shooting by changing to a more open choke. The difference between full and modified is trivial anyway. And by doing so you are doubting your ability and trying to increase the element of luck.

You'd be better served to focus on getting your mental game straight (assuming you're already shooting "A" class or better at Singles. cls

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Excuse me...I thought I heard you say, "cold" and "windy?"

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Use the full choke and forget about it. Otherwise you might get beat by some one with a Model 12 (factory full choke), only because he/she doesn't know any better. I remember almost 20 years ago I bought a new S682X Beretta single. It had a factory full choke. I just knew I had to have choke tubes. Sent the gun to Briley. Got it back and had 3 chokes. (Full-Improved Modified-Modified) Placed the Full choke in the barrel and the other 2 chokes went unused. Smart huh?? Chokes don't break birds, if you miss with the full you will miss with the modified... Ed

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Shoot what most of the best shooters that ever lived shoot.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Isn't that an ounce and an eighth, shannon?

Neil

7. cls

cls Member

And a full choke?

cls

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

On a bad weather day the worst things you can do is start changing! That means anything.....

9. cls

cls Member

Good point Martin, I'd add that you should never change anything (that works). Find what works, know that it works, and stick with it. cls

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

IMHO you only need the least amount of choke it takes to have the pattern do what you want at a given yardage.You must know , ie , no guessing. Another question would be ,how many top shooters shoot the same tight full in both barrels for doubles ? Jeff

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

....Pattern the gun. Did you read the wisdom of the late Don Zutz?

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Choke If you don,t point the gun right it makes little difference

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.020" (modified) & 1 oz #8 is all you need from 16 yds. It don't get any deader'n "dead".

John C. Saubak

14. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I use EX-ful for practice with 7/8oz loads,usually switch to ful and 1oz or 1-1/8oz loads on programs and usually pick up a bird or two,not that I shoot all that bad anyway,just dont shoot enough.but I still firmly believe when I miss a bird its my fault.If you throw a 5gal bucket of shot out and are off target you will miss.

15. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

My dad advised not making any technical changes, like shot size, dram size, a more-open choke or any strategy toward shooting faster. Instead, he advised to simply see what the target was doing before pulling the trigger and make sure you get the right bird bead relationship. He used a full-choke for both 16yrds and handicap. Kim

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Agreed Kim. Great to hear from you!!

17. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Depends on what your scores are.

If your scores are around 90 or so then moving from a full to a modified choke may increase your score because you are not pointing where you should.

If you are in the high 90s with a modified choke then switch to a full as your misses are likely to be due to holes in the pattern.

If you are doing your part then a full is the best choice.

For the first shot in doubles a modified works best for me as the target is shot as a closer distance than singles and the pattern is about the size of the full choke pattern at single distances.

Charlie

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My first straights were shot using skeet chokes. I have been told that I shoot fast but I normally shoot modified chokes these days. Jackie B.

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

modified (.020) and 1 oz of 8 1/2's....

At the Grand, when the money's on the line. IM (.025) 1 1/8 of 8's... lol

20. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I won our state's singles shooting a 28in.bbl. Mod. 12 with Mod. choke and l 1/8 oz. of # 8's. The only gun I've ever broken multiple 200 straights with. Not much smoke, but good solid breaks. Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.