1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Can 1100 receiver be used to replace worn out 1187

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by w762nato, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w762nato

w762nato Member

Years ago I bought an 1187 2 3/4 only Premier Trap. This was my only shot gun and I used it a lot. bought a 26" skeet and shot sporting, trap and skeet. Eventually most parts have been replaced, Firing pin, complete bolt, action bar, fork, forend support couple recoil springs. The barrel index pin was fixed once and last the barrel support broke loose and the fellow that fixed it botched the job so its almost impossible to change barrels now just too tight. So I saw a 70's 1100 2 3/4" plain jane model in great shape maybe three boxes thru the gun and was wondering if I could use this receiver to breath new life into my tired old 1187? Or is this just a pipe dream?
    Thanks in Advance Jan

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Short answer is probably.

Long answer most of the time an 1187 barrel will work on an 1100 as long as you use the 1187 fore end also. I have "heard" that there is a very slight difference in the O-ring groove specifications between the 1100 and 1187. If you happen to combine a barrel with the gas cylinder at one extreme of the tolerance with a receiver with the opposite extreme the O-ring won't line up and seal properly. I have a friend who says he has to use 2 o-rings to get his 1100 to function 1 ounce loads. I suspect this is his problem.

Michael Goines

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Talked with the Remington gunsmiths about 1100s and 11-87s. The 11-87 barrel has larger diameter gas ports to allow a larger quantity of gas into the gas piston area. This is needed because the expansion area (inside the shroud) is larger on a 11-87 and requires more gas. This is a sort of gas compensating system on the 11-87. The o-ring is also positioned slightly further forward on the 11-87 when compared to the 1100. That is what they told me. Since they built it, I figure they know it best.

There is also a difference in the extractor groove sizes.

We didn't talk about the receivers so the direct answer to your question is "maybe".

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The best solution would be to just find a good, used field 1187 and swap parts over.

As for the 1100, it *may* work. There are two issues.

First is the seal groove positions on the mag tubes. Generally these are not a problem. However, some people have found that for their particular combination, it just won't work. You rolls the dice and takes your chances.

The other is the magazine cap retention system. While recent 1100s use the 1187 retention system, early ones did not. They use a detent ball in the forend. Because the 1187 barrels will require the use of the 1187 forend, you won't have such a detent ball. Some have tried a rubber o-ring under the cap, with differing success. (One way around this is to use a synthetic Remington forend for an 1100, because it is universal for both guns and has the detent ball. The 1187 version lacks the detent, though, so make sure it is the one for the 1100.)

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Brian is right about the magazine cap issue. Older 1100 magazine caps have notches in the rim that are match up to a detent pin built into the end of the fore end. 1187's and newer 1100's lock the magazine cap with a plastic plug, that is powered by the magazine spring, that engages notches on the inside of the magazine cap.

I have found a wave washer works well to keep the magazine caps tight when using an 1187 fore end on an 1100.
    <html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <title>New Page 1</title>
    </head>

<body>

[​IMG]

</body>

</html>

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've used a 1187 field barrel on my 1100 shooting regular trap loads with no problems whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.