1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Camping for MD, VA, PA, and WVA State Shoots?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hello everyone, i was just wondering if anyone has information, or people i could contact about camping at all these different state shoots, im looking to attend them all, but trying to keep the costs down by camping. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Osker,

Here's the link for the Millington Gun Club (MD). Ohmer Webb handles the reservations, etc.

Curt

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Camping at elysburg for Pa state shoot. You can also try Knoebels Grove Park, along with the rides/food and such they have a campground or at least they did.They had camping, cottages, and cabins to rent although not sure hoe far in advance they book up.

http://www.knoebels.com/camping.asp

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

For the VA state shoot there are camp sites available at the Winchester club. contact

Gary Funkhouser
    1750 Millner Road
    Strasburg, VA 22657
    Ph: 540-465-9424

--- Chip King ---

6. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Thanks everyone for the information. I'll give them all a call. Look forward to seeing you guys at all the state shoots.

7. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

8. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

9. FLIP

FLIP Member

you forgot the OHIO STATE shoot!!

10. monroesc

monroesc Member

WV is first come first serve. They have very limited spots with electric and a mountain (literally) of primitive.

Ohio go to www.cardinalcentercamp.com for information

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Osker,

I virtually always camp at all the shoots you've listed. All the venues have ample space for tents, decent shower/washroom facilities and low rent! No reservations required.

Call me cheap--maybe, but I genuinely enjoy my time at shoots and camping in my low-rent set-up. If you look at pictures of Grands from the old days, you'll see mostly tents. Because of that I consider myself a traditionalist rather than a cheap bastard--you may find some who have different views. I've found that the smartest, best looking and most charming folks agree that primitive is the preferred, and most dignified way to go. Don't let others dissuade you my friend!

You and your dad come join me. We'll have a blast tellin' stories, grillin' steaks, and sippin' on cool refreshments.

Get a big dome tent, one you can stand in. Cots are much preferred over sleeping on the ground with an air mattress. One of those folding square awning thingies is really nice to provide a porch, or extra shelter should it rain (get a heavy duty one). Those Cabalas reclining chairs are wonderful, get the wide ones. A couple of coolers, a small grill, lighting of some sort, some groceries and you're set. Don't forget shower shoes!

P.S. Tell dad I'll have your shot at CCGC this Sunday if youall decide to come.

Guy B.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Camping is very good at all of the listed clubs. But, if you are camping at Thurmont and the area has had some heavy rain, I suggest that you sleep wearing a life preserver. I remember campers floating down the creek. Camping at VA can also be interesting after heavy rain. Fortunately the club has equipment that will drag very heavy things through the mud. The club has about 10 inches of soil over nearly impermeable shale. Never fear- I predict no rain for all of these shoots.

Pat Ireland

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Hey Pat,
    Got caught camping in the Catoctin mountains just west of Thurmont back in June or July '71? I was sleeping on a old army cot,and woke up with a foot of water in our tent at 2 PM. Just got worst....rain,and heavier rain.3 days of the hardest rains I've ever seen in my life.I stayed soaking wet for 5 or 6 days,but survived...Turned out to be Hurricane Agnes.
    Just a camping story.
    D.P.Reynolds

P.S. Guy I'll see you at CCGC on Sunday....
    Later...

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Was ye "camping" with a sweetie Dave? No better way to cope with the elements!

See ya Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.