1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Camping at the Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Planning a trip to the South Rim of the Canyon next week. Will camp outdoors with a tent. Anyone have a suggestion where'd be a good place for this?

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Well you are already planning on camping outdoors so that eliminates that suggestion so might I suggest that you set the tent and camp on the ground, preferably on ground that does not have a bunch of rocks.

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Isn't the canyon cold this time of year?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't know what temps. are this time of year but almost gotta be cooler than it was when we were there last July, 100 to 114 one day, down at Bullhead City, wife got sick from heat so had to cut our visit short. Hope you have better luck as it is absolutely beautiful. Ross Puls

5. david

david Member

6. Vickie

Vickie Member

Barry, better take a heater for sure! We were in Williams, AZ(the gateway to the Grand Canyon) in Dec. to ride the "Polar Express" Train, and it was 14 degrees at night. It has got to be colder now, cause they hadn't had any snow in Dec.

A tent? Well, have fun and keep warm!

Vickie

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Why not see if they'll let you camp on this Grand Canyon Skywalk?

[​IMG]

Just don't look down.......lol

Hauxfan!

8. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Barry,

I have put my 5th wheel in a RV park inside the entry gate to the park. They had tent sites. But, it will be colder than heck. If I remember right the elevation is above 5,000 ft. Hell, I am at 3500 ft, here in Apple Valley CA and it is down to freezing just about every night.

JON

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Barry,

I hope your kidding, the weather this time of the year can go from cold to even colder in a New York minute up at the Canyon ... The temps during the day are even cold but just north of there in Snow Bowl they got over 12 foot of snow if you like to ski ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

In the words of a very old friend of trap shooting fame "CAMPING IS FOR POOR PEOPLE I'M STAYING AT THE HOLIDAY INN" he said this to me in about 1985 and I am still laughing about it. Bill

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well I camped there in a tent years ago in January. At the time had at least 8" of snow on the ground, didn't have to worry about rattlers. It was one of the few camping trips I remember. Campground wasn't crowded. Really had a great time, but I was a lot younger then.

Let us know how it went.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Never went. Weather turned nasty the day we were going. We'll try later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.