1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Campers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rich219, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Is having a camper/RV the only "affordable" way to frequently attend large ATA shoots (satellite grands, state shoots, etc). I really want to try to hit the a few week long shoots in PA and OH next year but when I think about the expenses hotel rooms would cost over $500 for a week.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

$500 is a hell-of-a-lot cheaper than a camper or RV. Your just trying to justify a purchase of a camper or RV.

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

A tent is the cheapest way to go...

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Seriously, yes a camper/RV is a lot cheaper than motels, AFTER you forget about the initial cost for the unit. And the depreciation after just a couple of years is pretty steep. If I was going to do what you are planning, and NOT use the camper for anything else, like family camping, I would go to a dealer and get a used, banged-up unit. Just the basics and you would do fine.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

The one real advantage of the camper is that you can go back to it and relax in a nice air conditioned spot in your easy chair or take a nap while you wait for your next turn on the line. No Air no advantage.

--- Chip King ---

6. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

What Chip King says. Go with a nice (not necessary to be new ) camper with AC and you will never go without it.

7. RAScott

RAScott Member

I bought a 21' used with a slide out 3 years ago 7500.00 I do the local state shoots mass, nh, me, vt, plus i have been to the grandonce ohio, if you travel with a buddy it cuts the cost in half. The people you meet there are great.

you save on food, you sleep well and you are not running around loading guns and coolers for the day at the club, Major shoots put the squadding on the tv with the scores.

movies at night.

One of the best things that I have ever bought. I have NH next weekend, then Maine, taking it to VT. for the weekend for added room for the camp.

Girlfriend didnt want to get up in the motel one sunday championship day. I was late and almost missed my squad. The next year I stayed at the club in the camper .....PRICELESS.

Bob S

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I was thinking about buying one used. Something small that has a bathroom, shower, A/C, a small place to cook, and at least one bed.

The only use it would get would be ATA shoots.

Are "pop ups" more of a problem than their worth?

9. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I think pop ups are more trouble.

The canvas will deteriorate over time, if you are thinking older units.

The first time you have to set up or leave in the rain, you will appreciate a hard sided camper.

If women will not be in the picture, you don't need to spend a lot of money for a used unit that will serve your needs.

Whatever you decide to buy, remember that five years is about the safe limit on trailer tires, no matter how much tread they have.

This means around $900.00 or so for replacement tires to avoid a more costly blowout .

ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.