1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Camless Engines: More Gearhead Stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The following "speaks to" camless engine technology. Imagine the implications, and prototypes are working NOW. Technology came from, I believe, from Israel where valves in the agricultural fields had to operate remotely to prevent attacks to the agriculture workers due to enemy fire.

Imagine the potential gains all around...in engines for heavy diesel trucks to high performance racing engines. The little video at U-Tube is quite good:

----------------------

Pretty cool. Imagine not only 15,000 RPM…..maybe 20,000 RPM if the rest of the motor can hold together.

A friend sent me this video showing new technology for auto engines. I feel you will find this new technology exciting.
    For all you ‘Gear-Heads’ out there I find this Pretty darn cool!!!!!!!
    first they got rid of our hand-cranks.
    Then they take our Ignition Points.
    Next they take our beloved Carburetors.
    Then they take our Spark Plug Wires.
    Now they want to take our trusty Camshaft too???
    What Next???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23_pu0

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What actually moves the valve? Air pressure. What controls the air?

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I believe the air is controlled by computer controlled actuators, i.e., smaller valves of some sort. There is a U.S. company that is also developing this technology; I believe that company is based in Colorado in the Denver area.

There was an article about that last year in "Diesel Power" magazine. To me, that is very exciting. Might successfully address a "last" problem in the internal combustion engine as we know it; infinitely variable valve timing analagous to what the ECU can now do with ignition timing and fuel injection events with piezoelectric injection systems.

"These just might be the good old days...again.."

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Some diesels were set up with oil actuating the valves - no springs. They are under test.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They have been making camless engines since the late 1800's. I believe they call 'em 2-strokes. Someone trying to re-invent the wheel?

Just Say'n.....

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Nope, no wheel reinvented, these will be four cycle engines.

7. oz

oz Active Member

I believe Ferrari used electrically operated valves.

8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Do Formula 1 engines have cams? I think they are pnumatic, not sure

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

FIAT has an oil driven, bolt on system... It converts the cam shaft to a hydraulic pump with each cam pressurizing a small oil reservoir, then a computer actuator controls oil flow to the valve train.

This allows for variable lift, duration, and timing of the valve cycle.

Way beyond what this one does (perhaps it will not hit the RPM level in that the air driven system should move faster), but it is on the shelf now in Italy.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

F1 engines use air to close valves. They operate at 19,000 rpm and no spring can react quick enough to close valves fast enough. I seem to remember reading about camless engine research some years back in Road & Track or Hot Rod magazine. It's coming, I'm sure.

Ron Burr

11. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

CUMMINS DEISEL has been experimenting with that same

technology for a few years now.I don't know if its in production yet.

Jim

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I do see the advantage of being able to fully control the valve open or closed, rather than start to ramp it open a little two early and start closing it as soon as it does get to fully open where it actually stays slightly open too long. Of course being able to change the duration of open and closed time at will is why electronic fuel ejection allows us to gain power and efficiency.

My fear of that system is that unless there is air pressure in the remote air tank, the engine will never start the first time. I guess you can always add an electrically operated compressor to charge the system if the air tank would loose it's "prime"

I love it when engineers think outside the box. Now if we could only get rid of those rpm limiting pistons and crankshaft...........and maybe get the torque curve to look flat......

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Leo,

Toyota has flattened the torque curve - it's called the Prius and it has a flat line about 10 ft/pnds above zero - going from left to right... ;-)

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The cams open the valves and springs closes them. In the late '50, Mercedes designed an engine which eliminated the springs, The cam both opened and closed the valves. It was called the "desmodromic engine".

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If they ever figure out how to get the Wankel engine to seal piston engines are doomed.

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

....and to get the Wankel to run with low emissions and with competitive fuel economy.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The Desmodramic valve system was why I loved riding my old Ducati 900 Darmuh..it was a nasty bike that just seemed like if there was a top end limit, you probably wouldn't live long enough to find it

18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

They are trying to kill the Flathead. All ther is too it.

19. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I read GM has a starter less engine under development. The computer allows a mist of gas into the cyclindar under compression and fires it to start. Jimmy Borum

20. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

The piston would have to be into the down stroke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gearhead stuff

what if someone invents a camless engine