1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Speed ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've got some pretty good stop-action at 1/1000 and above.

My Nikon can shoot up to 1/4000, but rarely will use that quick a shutter speed. I can set my ISO very high to make shutter speeds faster, but pix get a little too noisy for me.

2. BMC

BMC Member

The second one (the sequence) was shot at 1/1,000,000 of second shutter speed. Most likely frames from video.
    The first one is luck. A good DSLR can capture that at 1/2000th of a second, but you would have to be lucky.

3. psfive

psfive Member

I have one that will take the top photo. I have a bunch of shots like that. It takes some luck but I get twenty or so a day when taking pictures of our high school team at a conference shoot. It's an off the shelf Olympus DSLR. Paul Leeper

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Duh-uh... Well Paul, show us some of these pictures. TS.com is picture driven. Come on... pony up

Adn Thanks in advance

jack

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

It does take some luck. I try to take pix that show the bird breaking so that is what I try to time for. Sometimes you squeeze early and if you are lucky and if the background is clear you can stop the shot string.

SW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Canon T90 manual focus camera, 1/3000th sec, f2.8, motor drive 2.5 frames per second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael Stephenson

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Michael- Your first photograph is instructional. The shooter has shot, broke the target, the gun has moved down due to recoil and the shooters face is still on the stock and his arm is still high pushing the gun into his face. That is how he broke the target. Doing that will work for all of us.

On the negative side, it appears (photos 1 and 2) as if his head is rolled a little bit over the stock rather than being in an upright position. This suggests that lowering the butt pad or using a slightly higher rib might help this shooter.

Pat Ireland

8. psfive

psfive Member

MIA Ok I will, give me a chance to dig them out. I will need to learn how to post a pic. But I'll share. I'll post them to this thread - Camera Speed? Paul

9. mt92

mt92 Member

Not enough light on this day.

10. psfive

psfive Member

mt92 Very nice! Paul

11. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

My three pictures above are a sequence of the same target.

In the top picture the shooter has recognized the target angle and is starting to move his gun toward it.

In the second picture he has the proper sight picture and fired with the shot just out of the barrel.

In the bottom picture he has seen the target break in the tree line and is dismounting his gun. The bottom picture appears that he has raised his head when in fact an interval of time has elapsed showing him dismounting his gun.

I held down the shutter when he called pull and didn't let off until he dismounted. Thus 2.5 frames per second captured the scene at approximately 0.8 sec, 1.6 sec, and 2.5 sec.

An interesting side note was that he never realized that he raised his right heel when shooting until he saw these pictures.

Michael Stephenson

12. psfive

psfive Member

Here they are, enjoy, all were taken the first weekend in May 2009 at the Cornhusker (Nebraska)State High School Trap Shoot. Paul
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. psfive

psfive Member

Here they are, enjoy, all were taken the first weekend in May 2009 at the Cornhusker (Nebraska)State High School Trap Shoot. Paul
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. nwokhunter

nwokhunter TS Member

Check out the casio EX-F1

15. SDGooseHunter2008

SDGooseHunter2008 TS Member

Here is a picture that I had taken a couple years back. It was with a fast shutter speed, I think like 1/1000.

16. SDGooseHunter2008

Here is another photo, taken with a fast shutter speed. I think it was around 1/1500ish.

Shot with my Nikon D200 and sigma 100-300 lens.

17. psfive

psfive Member

Did you kill the goose? Paul

18. SDGooseHunter2008

Hey Paul,

They did get the goose, unfortunately this shot was placed with too much of a lead and was about 6 inches to a foot in front of it...

19. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

I love the goose photo. Looks like a Black Cloud wad?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.