1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Buster1652, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster1652

Buster1652 Member

I am looking to purchase a digital camera. Mostly all purpose but capable of close ups for internet posting. Looking for maximum value.

Could I impose on your camera expertise for advice?

Would any of the top brands include software for a pc?

Thanks

Art

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

I think most digital cameras have included a USB cable to download photos. Mine, actually my wife's, uses an SD chip which I can load directly into my HP computer for downloading the photos. We are still looking for the USB cable. There are probably any number of sites on the internet that evaluate cameras and tell their capabilities. About any big name camera will be reliable, probably.

3. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

There are tons of cameras that will do what you want. My Dad was a camera Distributor for 45 years so I grew up using almost every camera out there. I think that you should stick with Canon or Nikon. I have used Nikons for 30 years and switched to digital in 2004. Cameras are like Pguns and Kguns. They all will do what you want but it is personal preference. I currently have all Nikon equipment having D70, D200, and D300s along with a point and shoot P7000 for my wife. I like having all the same controls did lots of sports photography when my kids were playing high school and college sports. My current nikons take pretty much all the old lenses from my film cameras although not all are automatic. I am one of the true dinosaurs that still carries a light meter and actually know how to use it.

All the digitals come with a cord to download to a computer and many computers have ports for the SD type disks. My D70 and D200 each use Compact Flash cards so you needed either a camera-computer cord or a card reader that you stuck you card in and then it downloaded. ou can buy a Canon or Nikon camera and then by an off brand lens. They will for the most part work but the "name brand" will give you better quality pictures. Most people don't see the difference but I do.

It is like stereo equipment. I never ever bought the high end stuff as I never could hear the difference(Thanks Sonic Valves) Some folks can hear it and appreciate it.

If you have specific questions, you can e-mail me.
    Bob Gibson
    rfga2@aol.com

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mapper, I have extra camera USB cables if you need one. Mike.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: close ups for internet posting

Any cheap camera will do what you want. If you have shakey hands for close ups get a small size tripod. I usually place items on a cloth sheet and shoot outside for best results.

Several free photo programs you can Google for on the internet. The one that usually come with a camera, not worth the install.

Large images (300 dpi) not needed for internet posting unless your posting them for printing. So you can post at 72dpi and see fast page openings.

No need for a cable, just pop out the card and put in your card reader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.