1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling for Targets?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by southpark, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southpark

southpark TS Member

There's a cord attached to the trap out in my garage and there sure was one on the machine I first shot trap on 33 years ago, but I don't know if that applies to older traps used in ATA competition. Any trap historians out there?

If Neil doesn't have three references on this he should be forced to buy me a beer at the Grand!

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

This maybe off the thread subject but I for one like to go to shoot and listen to all the different ways people call for the rock..

Corey

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

The older Trap machines were "released" by a lever attached to a "rod in a pipe" that went underground to the Trap. The "puller" stood behind the shooters and pulled on the lever releasing the bird. Although I never saw one in person, a few years ago while moving our Trap field back a bit and building a new House the excavator dug up the old pipe/lever that was still under the pads, the old timers all gone, but the original machine there utilized such a setup.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Old dutch style is my favorite but I don't use it but many guys I shoot with do: "HAAAAHH!!!!!"

I just use the standard: "puuuuuullllll"

What are the most unique you have heard?

But to answer your question: it originally came from live bird shoots for pulling one of the cords for the live bird traps. When trap with a target came, my understanding was a guy in the house loaded a bird and a guy back at the posts who pulled the cord on the trap. There are pictures on the net of originaly setups. Imagine setting and pulling the trap a couple thousand times during a big shoot? Must have been rough for both the shooters with bad pulls and the trapper with the work.

Pull and Mark are/were used in skeet so the trapper in the houses knew what bird the shooter was calling for. Pull was the high house trapper springing the trap and Mark was the low house trapper springing the trap.

I am by no means an old timer but many used "Pull" and "Mark" when shooting skeet even though it was all electric pullers. So I followed in suit and did the same. Still do it today. Just to keep it in use I guess. I have a thing for nostalgia I guess.

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Click on the link above. It will take you to the ATA Hall of Fame web site, where they have some pictures of the olden days. If you scroll down slightly, you will see "Page 5". If you click on that you will see a "puller" at work. Bill Malcolm

6. southpark

southpark TS Member

Hi otnot, welcome to the "let's try 3 hole targets again club." With MANDATORY enforcement by all clubs.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I recently saw a photo somewhere of one of the old pull pipe traps still in use somewhere in colorado.

We had them in the 60's but I wasn't shooting then. Pursuing waterfowl was way more important.

HM

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some years ago I was a 10 year old trap boy that would push the pipe forward to cock the trap, bring it back almost to a fixed plate and then jerk it all the way back when the shooter called pull or something like pull. I thought I was a strong farm boy when I took the job, but it was hard physical work. I was about 32 yards behind post three so the shooters had to call rather loud or they would not get a target. I would also bet that my pulls were faster at 10:30 A.M. than they were at 4:00 P.M.

The shoots that were the most fun were the ones that gave bottles of whiskey as prizes. At these shoots, few would ever notice that my pulls may be just a bit slow in the late afternoon. One of the happiest days in my life was when the trap club purchased an electric trap.

Pat Ireland

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The next time anyone gets out here to southern AZ, go to DOUBLE ADOBE RECREATIONAL AND SHOOTING RANCH.

They have a pipe pull set up from way back, and they use when they are having fun!

By the way they are always up for fun!

Al

10. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, where was the club you speak of above? Reason being is a club that I frequented as a kid had same venue as spoke of in your post. After contributing on one of those old rods for a couple hours one definetly knew the meaning of "fatigue"! I had the same feeling concerning the prizes in the fact, shooters really didn't care what the pulling was like by 4:00 pm. LMAO
    Dang thats some memories!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Big Al 29, I shoot with an older gentleman now and again who calls "rise" when he wants a bird.........Roger

14. southpark

southpark TS Member

Nice research MTA Tom, now we're getting to the root of the matter.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

nspktr1 / Martin W. - The club I started at was the Pittsburg Gun Club (KS) operated by Dr. Cheek. Actually, it started as two clubs. One was behind the old 69 Speedway and the other near the Joplin Airport. Each club operated every other Sunday. Later the two clubs were consolidated as one club near Cow Creek.

Pat Ireland

16. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I have a pull trap from a club south of Pittsburg, Pa. I can't remember the name of the club. Todd

17. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Posts commonly had a square board on top to hold a box of shells. At some clubs, they held beverages as well.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.