1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling down to Alabama...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

How are you folks doing?!... I know many are without power.

Last night we put a calls to some family throughout the state, some who were moving to secure locations in north Alabama. Thoughts and prayers are with you...

Jay

2. porky

porky TS Member

I hope that this weather doesn't hit Ft Mc Clellan where all that nerve gas is.

3. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Not in Alabama but just north of Georgia in Chattanooga, TN area. Had at least 8 people killed in our county. The multitude of storms coming out of Alabama and Georgia all day long really made for a nerve racking day. Very fortunate that we had no damage up on the mountain and didn't have our power go off. There were about 95,000 homes and businesses without power at the worst point in the Chattanooga area. Brought back bad memories of starting a new job in north Alabama in March of 1974. Two weeks later the whole north Alabama area was hit by multiple tornadoes.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Thoughts and prayer to the folks there, they really caught hell it sounds like

5. KRE

KRE TS Member

Things are mixed from Deaths to untouched.
    Have items in yard that came from as far away as 150 miles SE, and 110 miles NW.
    Major Power outage from 25 seperate 500KV lines being torn down. Normal power in 4-10 days maybe,...Have 45kw NG genset my house and 750 gallon propane as back up. Home is full, many baths, sleeping, cooking, cold food storage, ect. Tractors, backhoes, chain saws, ect all working over time. Could be much worse, 23 dead last night from town 30 minutes away, my county good AFAIK.
    Back to work,....

Kenneth

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Didn't do any major damage back home in Alabaster, but all of my family all gathered at my sister's house and hunkered down, because her house is built into the side of the top of a mountain, and they would have been safe there. I know that they have electricity, because she's on facebook this morning. It was devasting for people just a bit north of Alabaster, though. I haven't heard if it damaged my nephew's vet practice and kennel in Birmingham.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'm 45 miles north of Huntsville Al. all the power is out there and no one can get gasoline, Our town is flooded with people from there trying to get gas, One station had people fist fighting and had to call the police.. I counted over 40 cars at one place waiting to get gas..

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Everyone should prepare for these types of situations. I have ordered some of these food packets today, based on what is happening down in Alabama. We get a lot of tornadoes here in Kansas, and you never know. I found this company on a link that someone posted about the state of our country, and that site suggested buying food now and storing it because the prices are soon going to soar.

They last for 25 years, can be prepared with boiling water (which you can do over a campfire), and will be safe in flooding situations. When the packages arrive, I'll try one and let you all know how it tastes.

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant near Athens, AL went into safety shutdown mode yesterday afternoon when 90 transmission lines, some carrying power away from the plant, were knocked down by the storms/tornadoes. The plant core and the pools storing spent fuel rods are being cooled by systems powered by backup diesel generators and battery systems. There is no damage to the plant, just to the transmission system. The transmission system problems affect about 300,000 customers.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

At least we have a 3 day notice before a hurricane hits down here. Most of us have learned the hard way to have everything on hand at the start of the season now. Mother Nature does not play around. I hope you all get power soon. We had trucks leave here this morning to help out with the power up there. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I left Pensacola because of hurricanes. Moved to North Alabama. HA! What a move I made.....
    Lots of damage around me, but I was spared all but rotting food in the freezer and fridge. That is NO PROBLEM compared to what some in my area are dealing with. We are grateful. Got power back about three hours ago after being without for three days. Actually, I was in Greer, South Carolina when the second (really bad) wave hit, at "Dr.K's" getting annual service done on two of my model 32's. So, at least I didn't go through the terror of being here when everything was happening.....
    Mike Durhan
    Hayden, Alabama

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.