1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling All Perazzi Experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claykiller, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claykiller

claykiller Member

Half truth and half opinion question: What is the difference between an MX 6 as compared to an MX 3 and/or an MX 8? Is the MX 6 worth considering? Thanks ahead of time for your input.

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Whiz where are you???

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Steve W is dah man

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

almost a Beretta in Perazzi clothing... ;-]

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rich Bullard above has explained it all. Nice pics, Rich!

The MX3 is the same gun as the MX6 EXCEPT:

(1) MX3 has a non-adjustable trigger assembly, and becasue it has the top single barrel it shoots the top barrel first. Consequently, then the O/U is shot top first, and choked accordingly. Probably not the best way to do things, particularly for doubles because you want the bottom barrel first as it's easier to recover from the first shop to get on and to the second target.

(2) The MX3's usually had extremely plain-jane wood and zero engraving.

Both guns use the rounded monobloc barrel and receiver, versus the square monobloc in the MX8 guns and all buns based upon the tried and true MX8 design. This also includes the MX3 Special.

(3) There is also an MX3S, skeet gun and it is similar to the MX3 & MX6 styles.

(4) The MX6, which I personally shoot better than any other of the Perazzis and Ljutics, has a small amount of simple engraving. The MX6 came with an externally adjustable trigger so you could shoot the bottom barrel on the O/U FIRST. My MX6 came new with fancier wood and an adjustable stock.

Wished I'd bought a couple 2-3 more of these MX6 combos.

WW

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Glad to see we have two gentlemen with first hand experiences with this somewhat rare MX-6 can pitch in.

Yes, to understand MX-6, we'll have to know the back ground of MX-3.

MX-3 was Perazzi's first attempt to step into the well established Beretta 680 series market during those lean years in the '80s. To cut down production cost, it eliminates the MX-8's squared monobloc (same as 680), and the same labor-intensive seashell sculpted receiver. By doing so, at approx. $2,000 retail, MX-3 sold in very respectable numbers during that difficult time for Perazzi. And that's what it was meant to do.

MX-6 was almost the re-run of the successful MX-3, except it didn't have the major draw back of the MX-3: Reversed chokes in O/U. It has either the selectable trigger in trap combos or the bottom first trigger in other models.

MX-6 also available in matte finish, if you like.

Now, speaking of MX-8, this is the bench mark of competition shotgun in modern history.

It has won more Olympics than any other shotguns combined since it's 1968 introduction. It's also the most recognizable shotgun in any world competition. It's the preferred choice by most winners those who can choose any shotgun in the world.

Today, MX-8 and it's spin off models come with any configuration you desire.

I spoke to the coach and gunsmith of an Olympic training camp in one Asian country, they use almost exclusively MX-8, including a dozen loaner guns for member's visiting guests. When I asked them why use this relatively expensive gun for loaner? their reply was: "We tried almost everything, this is the most cost effective gun for heavy usage and abuse." Their gunsmith can rebuild a MX-8 (average 500,000 rounds) in two days, it's design was based on high milage and easy fix.

This is the picture of the loaner gun I used that day, according to the record, it has over 2 million rounds through it.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

What would be a fair cost of a MX6 in good condition?

8. whiz white

I *think* I paid $6400 for my MX6 combo (34" and 31½" O/U) adjustable comb upgraded wood, ext selectable trigger, etc, new in 94, I believe it was.

I could be wrong on the price. It could have been more, but I picked it up through a dealer close by, as he had it ordered in for someone else who did not take it.

I have shot MX8's, Max's, and others, but this Little MX6 kept me on the 27 for since then. In fact, I've not been off the 27 since 1975, I believe it was.

Whiz

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Whiz my friend, 27 since '75? I think if I were you, I'll stay with that "Little MX-6". Don't look elsewhere. :)

10. whiz white

Steve: But then I'd be unlike a trapshooter... we like to do stupid things, like trade guns when we're smoking targets with what we've got.

I should have never traded off my TM1 that started all this competitive shooting. I've tried other guns from time-to-time, but you simply cannot beat the balance of the Perazzi's.

And, of course you know this, but each has its own characteristics too.

Yes, I just keep shooting the MX6, although I've stopped competitive shooting. Since I retired I find too many things to do that I'd put on back burner for the past 30 some years.

Whiz

PS: Merry Holidays to you and Majestic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.