1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all expert reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mgfi26, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgfi26

mgfi26 TS Member

I would like to preface this thread by saying I will contact Alliant for the requested information I am inquiring about. That being said...
    I am giving reclaimed lead a "shot" and after my first attempt I have a question. I think the shot I have gotten has a bit too muh graphite. I am getting drops using a 1oz. bar of about .85 oz. I decided to try a 1 1/8 oz. bar and it drops 1 oz. right on the money. My crimps are slightly more open than normal. When I say slightly I mean like the width of two or three hairs, just barely more than normal. So, I assume there is the volume of a 1 1/8 oz. drop in a hull with a wad for a 1 oz. load and that's causing the slightly more open crimp. I guess my question is when loading is it more important to stick strickly to the weight of the shot drop I'm tying to load or under these circumstances does volume come into play as well. O.k....let's have it.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Graphite wouldn't do that. There's probably steel shot mixed in. And rocks and sand and all too, of course. I'd just use the big bar and figure an ounce is an ounce. You will want to use a 1 1/8 wad, though I suspect you aren't now. Not too fast though - leave yourself some slack in case the shot begins to drift to less steel.

Neil

3. mgfi26

mgfi26 TS Member

Fred,

Thanks for the reply, but to keep this thread moving accurately, I'm dropping exactly one ounce using a 1 1/8 oz. bar into a hull with a 1 0z. wad.

Thanks,

Matt

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I'm no expert.

The bar in my mec has a hole in it with no scale attached, so I'm assuming my Jr. measures by volume.

Your reloader probably does too.

Don't weigh your shot, it should be good to go by volume, your wad should have the same volume as your shot bar. The powder is what you should consider weighing.

As far as crimp goes, I wouldn't sweat that either.

5. TC

TC TS Member

There is a difference in the "roundness" of reclaimed shot vs new virgin shot. The individual pellets of reclaimed shot don't fit together as well as the virgin pellets. This is what causes the difference in weight.

6. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I know someone who got a bad batch of homemade shot of someone we swear it has aluminum or something mixed with lead its pitted and a little teardrop shaped it would bounce of the targets and sparkle under the lights at night. Well it did the same thing the weight didn't equal the volume. He gave out a few bullets and told us to count the pellets and weigh them also. They miked right around an acceptable 7 1/2 and weight was exact at 1 1/8 he did say he had to crank out his adj. bar and the pellet count was equal to what the alliant book said would equal a 1 3/8 Check out the picture. The left is west coast magnum 71/2 the right is some Joeblows garage Job.
    [​IMG]

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Wheremdid the ROBIN EGGS come from Just joking

Gary Bryant
    Dr.lomgshot

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

mgfi26- When you stated that your crimps are "more open" does that mean there is a small hole in the center of the crimp in the shell when loaded? If so, just lower your crimp starter a turn and see if that does not close the hole.

I must disagree with Remstar311. Weighing the shot can be important. I also pay little attention to what any shot or powder bushing is advertised to drop. I am only interested in what it actually drops. Bushing guides are only approximate starting points.

Pat Ireland

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In addition to the above considerations, reclaimed shot will most likely have a coating of some oxidization, which of course weighs less than the original.

We have shot a lot of reclaimed around here, most of which was "rocessed" in one way or another. I washed a lot of shot that was in a lake for a few years before reclaiming. after developing a treatment process it was very good.

we also had a reclaimer that sold processed shot that was darned good. Used it to the 23 with no apparent difference.

Since 1992 I have used some 4 thousand pounds of reclaimed. costs over the years have been from 20 cents a pound to 80 cents.

These days we are obligated to recycle everything, and shot fits right in there.

HM

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Why not use a 1-1/8 wad with a 1-1/8 bar? Same volume, same pellet count (if they are the same size). Take for example chilled shot vs. magnum. Chilled shot weighs more, not much, but it does. Wayne

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Most of the time reclaimed shot isn't seperated for size. This will cause light shot loads. Shot of different sizes take up more room than that of the same size.

This combined with chilled and magnum shot will cause you to make adjustments for the drop. The fact that you are using a 1 1/8oz charge bar to get a 1 oz charge doesn't surprise me one bit.

Just tighten up your crimp starter and keep on going.

ss

12. missemucho

missemucho Member

Use the 1 1/8 wads, even if you're only dropping an actual 1 oz. In my experience with reclaimed shot you'll need all protection for your barrel that you can get! The "cleaned" stuff that I bought had a little bit of everything in it. I still have about 80 lbs if anyone is interested. Personally I think it's only good for bullet casting and anchors!
    John

13. mgfi26

mgfi26 TS Member

Just spoke with one of the folks at alliant and I was told using either a 1 oz. wad or a 1 1/8 oz. wad would be o.k. The rep. I spoke with said it was mostly just a matter of getting a good crimp. I did tighten the crimp down a bit and am getting a good crimp with the 1 oz. wad but will prob. go ahead and switch to the 1 1/8 oz. wad. Thanks for all of the insight.

Matt

14. crk

crk Member

MEC charge bars dont ever drop 1-1/8 oz even on brand new shot in 7.5 or 8 size, more like 1-1/16 but you still use wads that are geared to 1-1/8 oz loads (volume).

Other reloader companies (Spolar for example) have shot bushings that are geared towards your particular shot size being used to compensate for this. Not a lot of variance but it does exist.

As far as the pitting and/or shiny characteristics on the homemade shot, that can also be changed by the nature of the process in the home shot making system and not necessarily speaking to something in your molten metal (quench agent, temperature of quench, how long molten was held and at what temp, oxidation, etc). Other than specific density and hardness, there are other characteristics that will vary with home made shot (and straight field reclaimed shot is all together another story).

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I load reclaim as if I were making 1 1/8 Oz 1150 FpS shells. That means using a shot bushing marked 1 1/8 Oz #7 1/2, DRXL1 blue wads (designed for 1 1/8 Oz) and an appropriate amount of Clays. This ammo is good for close range practice targets. (singles and doubles). No matter what though you aren't going to get the patterning or energy you need for the longer distance handicap targets or the confidence you should have for registered targets.

Don't get too hung up on the actual shot weight because it will always be less than a silmilar volume of new shot and it will also be a bit of a variable. That is why you don't want to push the velocity or charge weight.

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

What powder are you using and how much? Some powders are bulky and some are dense and don't take much space. Your wad petal should be just below the hull crimp line. This would give you a good crimp.

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The reason reclaimed shot is lighter is oxidation. That is why your 1-1/8 ounce bar drops only 1 ounce.

Like Neil says, use a 1-1/8 ounce wad and load data for 1 ounce.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.