1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Called my stockbroker this morning..

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by PerazziBigBore, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I called my stockbroker this morning and asked him what I should buy.. He replied canned goods and ammo...

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Yea, the economy and stock market sucks. Obama really has this country messed up. I still like CHK , BAC AND GNW.

3. warren

warren Member

smart stockbrocker

warren

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I still like 1911,Perazzi,Remington,Barrett,with a helping if Alliant,Fiocchi,CCI.. just to have a rounded portfollio. LOL..

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Invest in shotshells and lead before prices go up again.

6. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

On a more serious note about the stock market, I think that now is a great buying opportunity. The P/E ratio of the S&P 500 is below 13 which is about where it was in February/March 2009 when it began its 70% to 80% climb. How many people here wish they had been buyers instead of sellers when the market was at the bottom 16 months ago?

In general, companies are quite profitable today. They just aren't hiring new workers yet. So, if you've got some extra coin in the bank earning a whopping 1% return, consider putting it to work in the stock market. BTW, I'm practicing what I'm preaching since I put another 45K into the market today and that's a sizeable chunk for me.

The above comments are strictly my non-professional opinion. No guarantees apply. Invest (or not) at your own risk. I'm not a stock broker, financial advisor, or anything of the sort. I'm just a retired engineer who enjoys shooting and thought I would pass along my unprofessional opinion to fellow shooters. Shoot well and enjoy life.

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Buy low, sell high. Really difficult for most of us to do but it works.

If your ego won't permit you to be wrong occasionally, you don't belong in the stock market.
    [​IMG]

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Yep,

.308 .223 and .45

Buy cheap and stack deep.

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

In case someone is interested in the original topic, you should look into some high dividend, steady stocks.

Couple of such stocks in mind have served me well, "DUK" (Duke Energy 5.74%), "T" (at&t 6.29%) etc. .. Their dividends beat CD 6 times, while prices are very steady.

Do your homework and put your spare money in these relatively safe stocks if you don't live in a good real estate market area.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy never sell. Buy high yielding utility stocks. No matter how bad things get, people will still turn the lights on when they get home at night. HMB

12. Steve W

Speaking about high yield stock, does anyone have any experiences with this kind of unique stock? "NLY" gives 16% div. and their price is steady.

13. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Buy BP on every dip.

14. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Here is a pretty good article on NLY. It is a Real Estate Investment Trust that deals in mortgage backed securities. It must pay out 90% of its income in dividends. Its high dividends are unlikely to be steady. It could be a good investment as part of an overall portfolio but has significant and unique risks. Consult your Financial Advisor to see if it would be a good addition to your portfolio.

James

15. Steve W

Thank you James, I read that article too, I own some of their stock, and the dividends are truly the highest among all my "dividend stocks".

With the price I bought, one year's dividend will give me a $2.25 cushion on price drop. I think I can take that.

My favorite stock for spare money is still "DUK". I see very little possibility to lose money on this one.

16. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Yeah, I am a big fan of those high yield low beta stocks like Duke. You're probably not gonna hit it big overnight but you are going to preserve capital, beat inflation and at the very least keep up with the overall market over the long haul.

17. 221

221 Banned User Banned

The markets have a lot to do with this mess we're in.....way too many thought the grass was greener on the market side.......thought they could sell the farm, sell their parents business's .....just invest in the markets and live on easy street. WELL most would be a lot better off investing in them selves and their neighbors......there ain't much protein in all that paper. one of the biggest problems with we Americans is that we are too worried about setting on our asses after we become nonproductive......than about all that time in between.......I've never met a government worker yet that had anything on his mind than staying out of sight and protecting his retirement benefits. People that invest in the markets seem to have the same attitude.......OH that's right.....over half of us are Gov employees.

If everyone invests in, and lives off paper.....then who produces the profits?

18. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I have purchased big quantities of pork and beans.

It seems to fuel the congress and it should help me too.

I am not up for re-election

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Easystreet, I'm not that confident in the stock market to redirect my 401K into it. I put it in a fixed interest account almost four years ago, because I had a feeling what was coming. Didn't lose a dime, and made money (very modest money) while others were losing large amounts. I wouldn't mind investing again at the bottom, but I'm not confident that we've seen the bottom. Frankly I'd rather convert my 401K to cash and sit on it. Instead, I took a loan out on my 401K. I pay myself the interest (only 4.65%, but that's more than the stocks are returning). As for use, it's paying off some higher interest loans. I'm trying to gets all my ducks in order because I think there are harder times coming.

20. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

When the federal debt is finally addressed, cash will be trash. Own something tangible when they reprice the dollar and the value of the asset will adjust to the new lower value of the dollar.

Many think owning gold is the answer others prefer a stock like Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway where they just bought all of the BNSF railroad stock to gain an investment in huge real estate assets.

Hang on to your hat when, after the election, Obama's debt reduction committee make their suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.