1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Called my Mom Last Night

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I am 60 and my Mom is 82, not in the best of health but as sharp as ever. I called because the Glenn Miller Story was on the TV. I was fortunate enough to have parents that liked and introduced us kids to music of all sorts. Her favorite was Glenn Miller. I remember watching Jimmy Stewart and June Allison when I was very young with mom. I knew Srting of Pearls, Moonlight Serenade, and In The Mood way before the Beatles. Dad was in a "Hill Billy" band before I was born. I knew Hank Williams songs. He like Gospel and I knew the Blackwoods, Singing Spears and the Chuckwagon Gang. We were Methodist so we sang the good hymns on Sunday morning that we stole from the Baptist
    I was in the reloading room when this came on and just stopped and listened for a while and called and held the phone out so she could hear. Then I told her I remembered watching this with her many many years ago and thanked her for the memory.
    Mom will be gone one day but I will always remember her when I hear In the Mood.
    I highly recommend that if you still have them, call sometime and just say thanks.

2. Juno

Juno TS Member

Nice to hear stories like that, Jim. Thank you. Pleasant memories.

Juno

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice, I remember all those also

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I am 60 and my Mom is 82, not in the best of health but as sharp as ever. I called because the Glenn Miller Story was on the TV. I was fortunate enough to have parents that liked and introduced us kids to music of all sorts. Her favorite was Glenn Miller. I remember watching Jimmy Stewart and June Allison when I was very young with mom. I knew Srting of Pearls, Moonlight Serenade, and In The Mood way before the Beatles. Dad was in a "Hill Billy" band before I was born. I knew Hank Williams songs. He like Gospel and I knew the Blackwoods, Singing Spears and the Chuckwagon Gang. We were Methodist so we sang the good hymns on Sunday morning that we stole from the Baptist
    I was in the reloading room when this came on and just stopped and listened for a while and called and held the phone out so she could hear. Then I told her I remembered watching this with her many many years ago and thanked her for the memory.
    Mom will be gone one day but I will always remember her when I hear In the Mood.
    I highly recommend that if you still have them, call sometime and just say thanks.

5. Juno

Juno TS Member

Nice to hear stories like that, Jim. Thank you. Pleasant memories.

Juno

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice, I remember all those also

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

As both a mom and a daughter, I thank you for this post. I need to call mine more often.

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jim, You brought tears to my eyes. They may be gone but always remembered and appreciated for the great times and memories. You only get one set of parents in life, love them while you can. They're a long time gone. Think I'll get a breath of fresh air now. Best wishes, Bob

9. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Very nice post Jim, it's a refreshing change, from some of the other here, you got me reminissing here also my Mother used to sing some old songs like " You are My SunShine " and the Anniversary waltz, By the way how are you doing with that 391.. I am doing great with the 682, I won the PA. state shoot NON-Resident Class B Singles Championship with it with a 198 and since i turned Vet on June 26 th I won 3 out of 4 Vet trophies with it. Also Looking forward to winning another one Tomorrow. Thanks Again Tony

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim, my parents have been gone for some time but your post brought back great memories.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My mom just turned 80.

I, too, remember those days as a kid listening to mom and dad listen to Glenn Miller on the "hi-fi."

Good memories.

Thanks Jim.

12. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Thanks this brings back good memories and I have dinner with my Mom once a week but I lost my Dad four years ago Aug 8 But we will be shooting together at The Grand on The 9th a trip he never made but in his heart and now he is in mine and we are shooting all week together one more time. Call her often Jeff

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

My Dad loved to dance. He and Mom drug me around the country to all the big bands that hit our area. How lucky I was. I still like the sound. Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Sammy Kay, Ted Weems, Tiny Hill, Jimmie Dorsey, Bob Crosby,Glen Grey, man I liked em all.....................Roger

14. double release

double release Member

Great timing for this thread Jim. My Mom passed away this past Monday at the young age of 76 and the funeral was yesterday. I can remember my mother listening to Glenn Miller when I was young and this post brings back great memories. I spent the last four days of her life at her bed side and I will treasure those moments forever. I am overwelmed by all the cards, flowers, phone calls, emails and visits from fellow trapshooters. It makes me proud to be associated with trapshooters when I read the posts on this thread.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.