1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Call me a sissy!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Call me a sissy if you want. The other day I shot my first box of "Standard" Trap Loads in maybe close to a year. It was a shock! And I mean that both mentally and physically!

For the past year I have been using 7/8 oz. loads at around 1175 FPS or so. I am using a Remington 1100, or on occasion, a 11-87. My average has gone up while doing this. The biggest part of my reason for going to the 7/8 oz. was to stretch that black gold that comes in a shot bag out to cover more shells. In the last six weeks I also wanted to keep the recoil down because of a recovering eye problem.

Well Tuesday I happened to grab a box of my old standard reloads that were on the bench near my 7/8 oz. loads. When I got to the last field of the day for me, I figured I might as well use the standard load. BOY, WAS THAT EVER ENLIGHTENING!

Those loads kicked like a mule, at least as compared to what I have been using. I felt the jarring all the way down to my waist. I even ended up getting a little headache and a sore shoulder from those things. Remember, this was the same load that I had been using for maybe the past six or seven years prior to dropping to 7/8 oz. Not only that but, the score I shot on that field was probably the lowest I have had in the past two or three years!

Given the results, I figure that my days of going with 1 1/8 oz. loads for 16's or even my 22 yard handicap are just about done! The 7/8 oz. loads will reach out there to do what they are supposed too. The lost targets are virtually always caused by me doing something I shouldn't, like raising a head of the stock, thinking to much about what the shot looks like, improper gun mount and the like. There have been a few of those "Why in the H*** didn't that bird break?" shots but then I got those with the full standard loads also so I can't put the blame, or at least all of the blame, on the light shot charge.

If you haven't tried 7/8 oz. you may want to experiment with them for a bit. It could save you a few bucks, lessen the pounding and maybe even IMPROVE your average.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Your just a sissy. ;-))

Ya know something to think and consider for that little longer handicap shooting is still a 7/8oz load but possibly increasing that fps a little bit or you might lack farther back even if you do everything right.

3. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Really the 2 3/4 dram load is such an overkill.Your 7/8s will destroy targets from 16 yards.I would like to purchase as many cases as possible of these 7/8s but cannot find them any where.Does any one have a suggestion as to where they may be purchased? Thanks.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I agree with using 7/8oz loads for all Trap shooting. At this years state shoot, I used 7/8oz for Singles (I HATE Singles!) and shot 97%. I like to push my 7/8oz loads at 1250~1275 fps. for the xtra energy and slight less leads. My Skeet loads are 3/4oz of #9 @ 1300 fps. WHAT FUN!

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Dennis ... unless your reloading you will find that a 7/8 load factory shell will normally be more expensive than the 1-1/8oz or 1oz loads. 7/8oz or really a 24gr factory load is an international load and not made in the qtys as the 1oz or 1-1/8 oz loads. You will also find that almost always with the 7/8oz factory loads they are zipping out at about 1300fps and ... well ... that kind of negates the lighter recoil part of it.

If you reload you can get them the way you want them and cheaply as well but if your buy factory loads your screwed. If you find a cheap 7/8oz factory load that is 1200fps or less please let me know.

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have a friend who shoots in leagues with me. He favors a 1300fps 1 1/8 ounce load thinking it helps his shooting. I have watched him shoot 3 different guns now. I have heard him complain about the trigger sticking on all three guns. There is nothing wrong with any of the triggers. He is a tough guy and thinks recoil doesn't bother him.

7. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Thank you-I will re-load them. It makes better sense.

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Joe, something seemed different Tuesday and on almost every target you dropped I was able to call them lost before you called pull. You seemed more laid back than usual or something. Had the recoil taken your mind off of shooting?

~Michael

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You bring your 7/8 oz loads and I will bring my 2 3/4 and 3 drams and we will shoot the Grand program of 3000 targets and from a handicap range of 27 yds. Then we will see who has the higher average for the 3 events. Gosh what about ability, well that threw that challenge under the bus.

Shoot whatever you prefer but keep quiet about it. The shell make enough noise without you.

Don

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Don, you're doing it again. You don't like reading this subject so why read it? I'll even wager you'll come back, read it again and see my question. Honestly, without insulting intent, I'd really like to know why you'd respond or come back to a thread you don't want to read.....Bob Dodd

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Bob ... because he is a keyboard internet bully and this is a place where he can feel like BigDon instead of the real LittleDonnie he actually is.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think I have become sissyfied as well Pyrdek. Every now and then I will make a batch of 'real' trap loads (1 1/8 Oz @ 1,200 FpS) and I regret it every time. It's probably one of those mind game things where I'm expecting the recoil to get to me and sure enough it does. By extension, I believe in my weinie 1 Oz loads so much that there is no way that I'm expecting the recoil to bother me and sure enough the recoil is not a problem.

Sissy or not, the important thing is that you enjoy your hobby. Use the ammo that you like and the heck with what anyone else thinks.

13. gotbass

gotbass Member

It would appear that "Big Don" needs an anal-occular transplant reversal procedure to help him get over his shi*** out look on life. Hopefully he wears a shirt with his name on it so if you run into him at a shoot you can ask to be re-squaded.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

OK, You are a SISSY!

I've also found that 7/8 ounce loads can do very well. The jury is still out whether my scores are better or worse with them, but they do make practice easier and less costly. I'm also not very recoil sensitive, but the shoulder does feel different after a few thousand of them over a period of time. I like them for the economy. I think that 7/8 oz of 8 1/2's at 1250+ fps is a great way to go at the 16 yard line, or even back to the 23. I haven't shot enough of them back much futher than that, so I can't comment there.

15. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Call me a big sissy but I'm having a lot of fun shooting 3/4 oz. out of my full choke 1100 TT. Cycles fine,crushes targets from the 16, low recoil, low cost, what's not to like?
    Mike.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

gotbass; You won't have to worry about spotting me because I will surly see you first. You will be the sissy with the teddy bear under your arm and the pacifier in your mouth.

As far as my outlook on life goes, it is also well. As a matter of fact I am looking forward to the Central Zone (700 targets) and then the Grand (2500 targets) all shot with 2 3/4 and 3 dram loads. Proper gun and fit makes the recoil go away.

Shoot, shoot often, have fun.

Don

17. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the international shooters seem yo do okey with the 7/8 ounce loads, and i think you will find that thier scores went up after switching to them.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Allowing someone to act like a bully on the internet may just make life bearable for his wife, kids, or even his dog.

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

zarathrusta Don,t be closing that gun it,s not your turn .

ALF

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Sissy, think you just proved to yourself, there is a diference. I did the same to a friend, had him use my light reloads, tossed in a factory STS 1200fps 1 1/8 load. he noticed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
call me a sissy boi
call me sissy
keep sissy traped
sissy trap challenge

sissy trap challenges

sissy trap forum
sissy trap games
they called me a sissy