1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Call and ignore the first bird??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Just curious about this one.....
    Shooting with a guy that does alot of trap shooting (registered). I noticed that at least when practicing (haven't seen a registered shoot yet) he calls for the first bird and just watches it (when he is the lead off shooter). Then he calls again and starts shooting.

I don't remember seeing anyone else do this and was just wondering if this is acceptable or just something he does when practicing? I know in sporting clays the first shooter gets a look at the first clays but have never seen anyone else do this in trap.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Squad leader will usually call for a 'test' bird. It lets the squad see if it is a 'legal' setting.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The squad leader calls to "see one" so all can see the targets are legal, the machine is on and workin and the puller is awake. Also makes It fair to the lead off man as everyone else gets to see a bird presentation before it's their turn.

4. mono1393

mono1393 Member

A common and expected practice to "see" the first target when a squads starts a sub event, whether practice or competition.

5. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

MONO1393 IS CORRECT

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I have not shot registered ATA for 10 years or so (I do shoot some other clays in tournaments.). Though I recently updated my ATA card and may soon. Anyway, for the 30 or so years I shot registered ATA before that it was not only common practice for the squad leader to "see one" it was proper. If you were the squad leader, when you started each trap you would look down the line make sure everyone was ready, ask "is everyone looking?" and say "Let's see one?" This was to make sure the trap was working properly and that the targets were set properly and probably just to break the tension. Is this in no longer common practice? Regards, Jake

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Before the CVR's I used to have a ritual, "Squad Ready, Scorer Ready, Throw a Target Please!"

Now with the CVR's most pullers seem to turn on the switch without the squad leader even asking, so I just say "Squad Ready, Pull" for the first 'Look See' target as this kinda checks out the microphone for the way I call Pull.

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

No problem.....Long as he says"Let me see one"!Otherwise its a miss!

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It's the squad leader and the term is: "LET'S SEE ONE!"

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

And many times the squad leader will ask "is the squad ready?" and this throws a target. Then he asks if the scorer is ready and a second target is thrown. Then facing forward, he states "let's see one" and a third target comes out. The squad leader then should ask the squad if the targets look good. This will throw a fourth target.

Pat Ireland

11. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

ATA Rulebook, Section IV, G, 5:

a. After all squad members are present at their assigned positions
    on the trap field, the Squad Leader should ascertain that all squad
    members are ready to begin the sub-event. After doing so, the
    Squad Leader only may ask that target(s) be thrown for the squad’s
    observation. For regular 16-yard Singles and Handicap sub-events,
    the Squad Leader may ask for one (1) target only. For regular
    Doubles sub-events, the Squad Leader may ask for one (1) pair of
    Doubles. For Shoot-offs in 16-yard Singles and Handicap events, the
    Squad Leader may ask for two (2) targets. For Shoot-offs in Doubles
    events, the Squad Leader may ask for two (2) pairs of Doubles.
    b. If the target(s) thrown for observation are broken, irregular,
    or illegal, the Squad Leader may ask that another target (or pair
    of Doubles as applicable) be thrown. The squad has the right to
    see a legal target (or legal pair of Doubles as applicable) before
    commencing the sub-event.

Danny

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

hipshot, it's obvious that your not a registered shooter. It wouldn't be considered a lost target in any situation. Worse case scenario would be a "failure to fire" and you are allowed two of those per 25 targets. FD

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Starship..... The PITA allows 2 targets to be thrown by the squad leader from post 1 prior to each sub-event and 2 pair from post 1 for each sub-event in doubles. They also allow the squad leader to throw 1 pair of doubles targets from each station to allow him to get a visual on the pair as well....Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.