1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California Transfers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sky Buster, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

What is involved with shipping a trapgun into California?
    I know it's dealer to dealer but it seems alot of dealers
    will not ship to Ca.

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

An out of state FFL needs to spend 5 minutes on CA DOJ web site to obtain an approval number for shipping guns to CA. The approval is instant, no wait, no cost.

However, CA DOJ and federal laws do not require FFL to FFL, a non-FFL can ship to CA FFL without this 5 minute procedure.

I have guns shipped to my FFL from individuals & out of state FFLs all the time. This is my first hand experiences, not hear say. You can confirm this on CA DOJ web site.

There're 8 million gun owners in CA, don't discriminate us all simply because this stupid state regulation.

3. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

I am an FFL in New Mexico and recently shipped a trap gun to another FFL in California for transfer to the individual that purchased it. It was a very simple process. The California DOJ web site had almost all the information I needed.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that FFL dealer to FFL dealer shipments are subject to California sales tax unless the person selling the gun is not a dealer and provides a letter stating that as well as stating that the sale is a private sale. The FFL I shipped to had all the information about that on their web site.

I can see that the process may be more difficult for handguns and certain long guns because you first have to determine if the firearm is legal in California.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Thanks Gent's!

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Sky Buster,

I am a California resident and have purchased multiple guns from out of state. If you are a private party (not an FFL) the process is also quite simple. All you need to provide in the shipment of the gun to the California FFL is a copy of your driver's license and a letter of sale that states you are a private party selling to another private party. That's it! The buyer should provide you a copy of the FFL's license and their address. Once you get your money, it's all over with. Ship the gun to the FFL and the buyer won't have to pay tax.

Kevin

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Any of you who are old enough to remember when you made a credit card purchase beyond a certain amount, the merchant would call the card company for an approval number. No one thought anything about it except it was a pain standing around for the number especially in peak retail season. When the computer came onto the retail scene these approval checks became automatic and were done by a computer.

Many gun sellers make a big deal about selling into California when in fact its Simple Simon deal to get an approval number and make your deal as others have stated. If you're on this site, you can access CAL DOJ. You have no excuses, none not to sell long guns into California.

Surfer

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Good luck. I had a gun sold to a California res. and his FFL would not take the gun from me and my FFL would not get the magic # so I sold the gun to someone not in Cal. It just seems every gun deal in Cal is different. Like I said, good luck

8. Bucko43

Goose2,

The problem he in California is there are FFL's that are too lazy to read and understand the laws themselves and instead of doing so will take a hard stance and state that all deals must go through an FFL on each end pf the transaction. Nothing could ba farther from the truth. I stay away from the stupid FFL's and only deal with the one's that know what they are doing.

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I told the gun purchaser to try and find another FFL but he said that was the law and they would all have the same answer. it sounds to me that some of the Cal FFLS don't care either. I spent all day in my home town trying to find an FFL that had got the magic # and they all said to hell with that. Go figure

10. Bucko43

Check out this website above. This is the FFL I use in San Diego. His tabs take you to different areas that tell you exactly what needs to be done by the seller. Anyone else that tells you different is full of BS. He has a direct connection to the state and sends registrations electronically to them every day.

This guy is the busiest son of a gun you have ever seen. At one time he told me in 2008 (when Obammy got elected) that he transfered 400 guns in one week.

Kevin

11. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Bucko43;

I can tell you that as an FFL I don't take delivery of any firearms unless it's from another FFL. It's not the law, but it eliminates the possible hassle for me that would result from transfering a firearm that happened to be stolen.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Steve- How would that eliminate the possibility of a stolen gun? The sending FFL isn't going to do anything more but log it in, log it out, and put it in a box to ship. They aren't going to research whether or not its stolen before shipping it.

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The sending FFL does not require to check the firearm record through BATFE before it was shipped. And the receiving FFL does not require to check BATFE data base for stolen firearm either.

As a matter of fact, CA DOJ and federal BATFE do not see any ser. # record of the shipped shotgun until the FFL's book was audited. The 4473 forms stay at receiving FFL.

14. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Skeet Man;

It does not eliminate the possibility of a stolen gun in any way. What it helps with is the hassle to me because most FFLs are more careful and have to get an ID from anyone they accept a firearm from prior to logging it in to their book. If a non-FFL asks me to accept/transfer a firearm I have no way of knowing where it came from. I'm just not comfortable with the prospect of accpeting a fireaem from an individual (non-FFL) that I don't know.

Of course, anyone that does not like how I do things is free to get their own FFL or to find another FFL to work with!

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The above FFL has the same attitude as the FFL my client was dealing with and of course that's exactly what made the deal go south. There are way to many good people to deal with than have to put up with a a-hole.

16. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Goose2;

You are certainly welcome to your opinion; however, I would be even less inclined to accept a firearm from a non-FFL that cannot even use the correct version of the word "course" correctly :)

You should really consider getting your own FFL and then allow others to tell you how to run your private business.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Sorry I will fix my spelling on the word "course" but my opinion of people like you does not change. It is easy, there are way to many choices for an FFL to have to jump through your hoops to get a gun deal done.

18. Ik13

Ik13 TS Member

I was told recently by two separate FFL holders that as of about an year or so ago the state of California requires from them to collect sales tax on all out of state transfer purchases, private party or not.
    If there's a CA FFL on thread, can you please confirm?

19. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

I believe that is correct. I live in CA and had to pay my FFL sales tax on a private party transfer for a gun I bought out of state.

20. dls guide

dls guide Member

It is easy. I will not sell to anybody in CA. No CA sales.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.