1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California stock fitters/ makers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by erickg, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erickg

erickg TS Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable custom stock fitter and maker in CA. or the west coast. I have a problem with the gun beating me up pretty bad on the face, so much that the game is not enjoyable and will no longer shoot until this can be remedied. I have already used the services of two so called stock fitters, one of the traveling variety who shows up at shoots and works out of a trailer, big mistake, and another who I wont mention because I honestly assume he knows his stuff, and just did not look at my problems in depth. Anyway between the two a new stock had to be purchased for my K-80 because the original was all but ruined. Took other suggestions and had a soft comb and adjustable recoil pad installed. I shoot only one ounce loads. Any help would be appreciated, Erick.

2. front242

front242 Member

Hi Erick

Not sure where you're at but I'm in the same boat here in San Diego county. Looked all over and found no one that seemed like they knew much. I did hear of one guy who supposedly knows his stuff up near Sacramento. His name is Dale Tate. Supposedly he worked for Purdy or someone in England. He is out of Camanche Hills Hunting Preserve in Ione, CA. (209) 763-5270 That said, I haven't used him, so can't vouch for his work. I just know that it seems like slim pickings in CA for what you're looking for.

It appears the only other option is an out of state road trip unless the all knowing members here can come up with other options.

Tim
    F242

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Isnt there a stockmaker who lives at the Redlands range? Heard hes alittle pricey. Paul Purdem lives in Cerritos I believe. Havent seen him in awhile. He shot ATA and the California Golden Bears for years.

4. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Ed Aubert here in the Bay Area is very good. I'm not sure where he is specifically located, but I see him out at the Martinez Gun Club all the time so he must be pretty close

-Pat

5. cafowler

cafowler Member

I'd 2nd the Dale Tate recommendation. All I know who have used him have been happy with the results. The picture here is him working at a classic double gun shoot back east a few years ago. He actually makes guns, nice guns, guns I know I shouldn't ask how much they sell for...

If you make it down to the San Antonio area, I'd use Speedbump, Ken Rucker.
    http://speedbumpstockworks.blogspot.com/2008/01/heres-patriotic-bump-buster-for-you.html

S&S from Pollson, MT bring their trailer to some shoots in OR or WA. I would trust those guys, they fixed me up after someone in CA who tows a trailer aroung to clubs, messed my gun up. The S&S boys new how to fix it just watching me shoot a round, and it is amazing the difference they made for $20.

Good luck...

6. randy-s

randy-s Member

Dale Tate..............http://www.camhills.com/dale.htm

7. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Erick, I flew to Canton OH to see Dennis DeVault, the airfare on Frontier from LA was about $500 or so. He is the best at correcting the problem you discribe. I've gone to him twice now as I said , he is the best. The cost of transportation is soon forgotton and I really love shooting his stocks.No recoil and like putting your cheek on a pillow. ( or tit)
    Tom

8. front242

front242 Member

Oh my! Tom, I'm online checking airfare prices now. I want that! Can you specify the rack you'd like to duplicate?

Dennis, I'd like a nice comfy 36C with a little toe out.

:)

Tim
    F242

9. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ed Aubert in Suisun City, California. 707-426-6571. Ed has been building, fitting, adjusting, checkering for most of his life. He is a trapshooter and understands the needs and peculiarities of fellow trapshooters. Still uses the old tools - his hands.

Also Dennis DeVault in Canton, Ohio - maker of the Mach 1 and Infinity lines. Uses the new tools. Look up his phone number on his website.

Both have made stocks for me and are highly recommended.

Mike Mann ATA Life 07-34685
    PITA Life 01630
    NRA President's Council Life

10. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Dale Tate does know about trapshooting, his son is a pretty good trap shooter.

11. erickg

erickg TS Member

Thanks for all the replies, I am familiar with Dale Tate's work, it was Holland & Holland he worked for. As good as his reputation seems to be, I just dont ever get that lucky, I've been to the man and my gun still beats the crap out of me. I honestly think I need something special made.

12. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I would not ignore Stoker John Fittinger, Portland, OR. He used to be with Shooters Emporium, but does wood work for several companies. He has his own shop and I recommend him highly. He is the only guy in the country who would make me wood PFS grips for my DT10. I get compliments whereever I take my guns.

JON

13. erickg

erickg TS Member

What kind of prices are we talking with Dennis DeVault?

14. Model12Man

Model12Man TS Member

Ed Aubert in Suisun City is a friend of mine and I can vouch for the quality and beauty of his work. A real good guy and a fantastic fitter/stockmaker.

-Colin

15. Art D

Art D Member

Try the WALNUTMAKER Phil Simms in Grand Junction Colordo, it would be worth the trip. He fitted my Perazzi and I have less recoil and it shots were I look. and the Price is very competive. Considering I came from Florida.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
calforarinia gun stocks makers
gun fitter san diego county
gun fitting service sacramento
looking for collectors of ed aubert guns east coast
shotgun fitters california
shotgun fitters in california
shotgun stock fiter in ca

shotgun stock makers in ca