1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California State Shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cnjranch, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Attendance was up the last few days from last year which is great news.

Jimmy Heller also ran the two handicaps 06/25

2. hairy

hairy TS Member

Some events posted.

3. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

4. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

5. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

For some reason, no more posting since Event 5; the first event on Thursday.

Augie

6. targetshooter

targetshooter Member

state handicap went to dan bonillas in just one round of shootoffs 24 23 sorry i do not not the other mans name after not getting a target numerous times dan pulled it out what concentration history in the making congrats dan im glad i got to watch. mike malone

7. edbon9

edbon9 Member

Dan Bonillas shot off against Jim Manley. Congrats to both on some great shooting.
    and those microphones are just plain awful, Dan was getting flustered but he kept his composure to win the only title that has eluded him from CA. during the singles shoot off the mics were also a problem.

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I got there Friday - yikes, it was hot and quite humid. A bit much for this smoked out girl! Had a great time though; weather notwithstanding. Next year, I'm going a day earlier to get used to things, so I can shoot all the events I had planned to this weekend and didn't.

I went primarily for the experience since it was my first time there - big bonus for me, I finally averaged myself out of the class I've been stuck in forever!

The people were great, Kingsburg is a lovely club and it was so nice to meet people that I've read or heard about for years. Met quite a few ts.com folks as well. It's really nice to be able to put names and faces together after all this time.

Had no problem with the trap help - it was really nice to have friendly help that called scores you could actually hear. I will agree with the above comments about those mics -- those Outer mic's were horrible. Slow pull, fast pull or no pull at all; sure gets frustrating and really messes with your game. That was the only 'glitch' I encountered.

I got my gun and glasses tuned up, spent a few dollars buying souvenirs and just had a great time. Thank you Kingsburg Gun Club, the CGSTA and my friends for hosting me this weekend. I'll be back next year!

(p.s. - glad to see you made it home safely John :)).

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

What John said. Plus, the number of volunteer hours that the Directors put in to make the shoot happen is remarkable. Multiply that by all the shoots, both big and small, that happpen every year and we should all remember to thank shoot management for providing us the opportunity to compete.

Hat tip to Jim Hammond on his first 16 100 and a special hat tip to my friend Steve Garrett, who backed up his 99 from the 27 at North Hollywood last week with a SWEET 100 to take the President's HC on Friday. At 71, he gives me hope!

10. tallengnr

tallengnr TS Member

I will agree that the weather was hot and very humid, the forest fire smoke was making it difficult to see targets clearly (Decot needs a Forest Fire Vermillion lens). But I did end up shooting my first singles 100 straight in competition ever...and then my second....and then my third. The trap help were very good, except for the one unfortunate incident that John mentioned above. I saw Bart pre-mounting his gun when she ran by him and I thought he was going to drop his Perazzi in shock. For next year, I need to bring and drink more water, and I need to bring more head-bands to mop up the sweat pouring in my eyes. I also need to experiment with one of those personal microphone/speaker setups to deal with the truely awful wireless trap microphones...I never yelled so hard for a target....oh, and I need to stop forgetting my shell bag on the last house of the day :(

11. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

Iwould just like to say thanks to all who attended the State SHoot this year. We saw a slight increase in attendence and all in all it went quite smooth...the CGSTA's pat traps worked beautifully and the scores really proved that...(one handicap event we had there was no score below a 96 on the winners sheet and that includes the Juniors, Sub Juniors and vets!!!)

The smokey air did not help but everyone seemed to get through it all right...congrats to all those that hit milestones at this shoot, whether that be a first 25 or a first 100..good shooting and we hope we see you back in 09 for another great shoot....

Kym Hughes
    Central Zone Director

12. BMC

BMC Member

I dragged my teenage son out and if, by the end of the weekend, he could actually admit that he had a good time and was glad he came, then by all means, the shoot was a good one.
    I agree on the mic thing. Toss those POS's in the water and get something that works. In a 100 round event pretty much everyone on every squad I was on would ended calling for 200-300 targets just to get 100. My son about walked off the field in frustration. Sometimes he just couldn't get one to come out, and by the time one did, would end up missing, only adding to the frustration. There really is no point for it at a shoot of the caliber. I don't visit a bunch of different ranges, but this is the only one where this has been a problem, and it was a problem last year so maybe the new "regime" can get something worked out and get the problem fixed.
    PS- yah Friday was melting humid, but Saturday and Sunday in the shade with the breeze was actually quite pleasant, a far cry better than last year or the year before that.
    Good job KGC and CGSTA.
    Don't ask how I shot.

13. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I shot the entire program,,,all the speakers were the same, bad,,,but they could be overcome,,it is not the volumn of the voice, but the LENTH of the call, short crisp call did not get it done. This was true on ALL traps, A-G.
    They were marking FTF's (not calling them), I lost two targets because of them (3 FTF). Part of the problem was the gun (Browning XT Combo) the lower barrel not firing the shell, but those worked fine in the upper barrel, and another gun I test shot. James Flynn said he had did all he could do. Bottom line,,I HAD A VERY GOOD TIME, thanks to all KGC members.
    Norman

14. BMC

BMC Member

Ah Norman, now I that I know what your TS handle is, it makes sense. Nice seeing you at the shoot and camping with yah. Get that firing pin changed like we talked about and you will be good to go.

15. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I had Jimmy Flynn give my XT an annual tune-up. He found my firing pin had a chip in it and he replaced it. He also replaced my springs and really cleaned the heck out of my gun (boy, did it need it). Shoot perfectly. Was there something other than the firing pin that's not working? I'm surprised he couldn't get it fixed for you.

You're absolutely correct about the calls as well. I had a hard time during the first 100 singles; seems every other call nothing came out. I was told to change my call, so I lengthened it just a tad. Worked perfectly during the second 100; not one problem...I also shot way better as well! Great learning experience - I've never shot using Outer's before. Now I know what to do the next time.

16. 3DHC

3DHC Member

This was a great shoot. The smoke was a little challenging earlier in the week. I had little trouble with the voice calls... probably had half a dozen no birds on 700+ targets. The machines were set consistently with only a few broken birds.

The shoot offs didn't bother me except when I lost.

Thank you very much to all the KGC and CGSTA folks who made this such an enjoyable event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.