1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California State Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Had the pleasure of visiting the California State Hall of Fame today in Kingsburg, California. I learned that this HOF is very complete with memrobilia not only from California, but from the earlier days of trapshooting. I saw what looked to be a complete and bound edition of Trap and Field Magazine. The HOF is like a smaller museum and the quality is very high...replete with some rare photos on the walls, old manual trap machines, an early version of a gun cart, and so much more; I even saw a rare glass trapshooting target. I never stopped to ponder how hard the principals involved in keeping this HOF alive and well spend a huge portion of time and energy keeping the HOF as nice as it is. I also learned that the HOF is generally only open during the California State Shoot. The HOF is located on the Kingsburg California Gunclub's grounds.

All I can say is to thank the lead people who have made this HOF possible when you see them (Bob Gioia and Al Yapelli and "Belinda" come to mind first, I am sure there are others...) and support this HOF as you can via any fundraising events it offers at the State Shoot and in between times.

And the admission is free. HOF and its principals: Thank you, I hope to spend more time visiting the displays in the future.

Thanks,

David Buchman

Los Angeles

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Agreed, I thought all the board of the HOF had to do was to open the building each year and sit around in the shade, get good parking spots, and kick back. Now I realize that Yapelli, Gioia, et. al. work their behinds off sitting in the sun for long periods of time selling raffle tickets, keeping the HOF tidy, cataloging items, and looking towards the future. Imagine, being a museum curator/salesman/custodian/bookeeper during an intesne hot week and then....finding time to shoot!

The museum is a jewel; inside are items one hardly sees every day..from a glass target ball to an early shotgun cart. Wonderful, and I hope youngsters in particular visit the museum.

I wonder how the late shooter/poet/esteemed grandfather, Mr. Dick Rogers, was able to transport a 65 foot portable building from Palm Springs to Kingsburg? Must be a story in there too!

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

It was a construction trailer that Dick towed to Kingsburg.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks Zardozforty, not sure who "grunt" is, but I bet I may have seen him working hard, selling raffle tickets, etc. And I also note Belinda working very hard each year in the hot sun selling raffle tickets..and of course the ever-energetic and hard working Eileen Williamson.