1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California skeet shooter shot dead at range

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by calilori, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

This happened today? I've not heard a word about it and that club is about an hour from me. Prayers are being said for everybody invloved. I'm stunned by this news so close to home.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Its a very sad day indeed. Not only for Herman and his family!!! But for all of the clay target shooters. May God Bless Herman and his entire family. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

According to this article, it was a trapshooter

Modesto Man Dies In Trap Shooting Accident
    MODESTO (CBS13) ? A man was killed after a shotgun was fired accidentally in a Modesto parking lot, authorities said Sunday.

The incident took place in the parking lot of the Old Fisherman's Club early Sunday morning. A group of men who regularly conduct trap shooting at the club were in the parking lot, when one man's shotgun discharged while he was handling it.

William Herrmann, a Modesto resident, was struck in the back of the head. Medical personnel rushed him to a local hospital and pronounced him dead.

There were multiple witnesses to the shooting, and the Modesto Sheriff's Office says it appears to be an accident. No arrests have been made at this time.

Trap shooting is a form of competitive shooting where participants use shotguns to destroy clay targets, according to the Amateur Trapshooting Association's website.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Trust the media to not find out what happened and then call it a trapshooting accident when it happened in the parking lot.

5. Harold

Harold TS Member

More details.

6. Harold

Harold TS Member

More details

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Regardless of being a trap or skeet shooter this is a terrible accident. It's just another reason to make double sure that your gun is unloaded and NOT POINTING at someone. Keep you finger off the trigger unless you're on the range. Just might be someone clicking on a snap cap in the parking lot?? No one knows and its a tragic day for the shooting sports. Motordoc

8. skeetprincess

skeetprincess TS Member

This is just so very sad! Many prayers to Mr. Herrmann's family. And yes, I agree, SAFETY is first - point in a safe direction, never at another person, loaded or not!

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

News Video....

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

i feel for both parties.. the loss of loved one and the one that was holding the accidentally discharged firearm. Must feel terrible.

11. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

THIS is truly a sad incident. No matter how it happened its something we surely dont need. And think about the person who was handling the gun when it fired. He/she will have this in their minds forever. Chances are they were friends out for some shooting fun. Whether in the parking lot or on the field a man is dead and the gun owner will have that moment in his mind always. I have seen a couple of guns thrown by shooteers. seen some go off, but this is my first time to hear of a death at a club. That includes more than 45 years of clay shooting. Its indeed a sad time. Lets all be careful...Fred

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Yes folks! It's a terrible accident. However there is absolutely NO reason to ever have a loaded shotgun in the parking lot of all places. I have very mixed emotions on whether or not the person responsible should have charges against him of some kind. Every concievable rule related to handling a shotgun at a skeet or trap club was broken.

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

The guy who did it is a jerk. Period. End of report. edited by moderator for language

14. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Bill was retired from the United States AIR FORCE. He was a fighter pilot,He joy in life was shooting skeet and bird hunting.God rest his soul!!

15. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

Bill was a great guy generous to a fault... Shoot right or left handed always changing guns. I shot skeet with him several times. If you know anything about Old Fish as they call it... you would know that the best parking area is down by the Skeet fields near the range under the trees for shade... As I understand it... the shooter was the man who ran the skeet section for years.... If it's the same guy who was there when I shot with bill in the past he was Very safety conscious... Bill was at his truck getting loaded or unloaded.... Not sure... But his truck was close to the gun rack. My Brother in law was at his house this morning stopped to see him but he had already gone out to the club that was around 10:00 Bill was shot around 11:00..

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

If the gentleman who pulled the trigger was the manager of the skeet fields, why on earth did his finger go to the trigger without opening/verifying that the firearm was/was not loaded? Should be an automatic motion. You know.....the old "open or out!" Such a shame.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

At a minimum is reckless discharge of a firearm and at a maximum, criminal negligence resulting in death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.