1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California Question?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Fast Oil, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I think I know the answer but I will pose it and would like a california resident to answer.

With California having a "Gun Show loophole" background check, one that requires all sales at gunshows, even private sales, does this also make it so that any face to face transaction that is done on a sales required to go through a background check, ie: a sale not at a FFL or gun show?

Thanks, Scott

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes, any firearms transaction in California needs to go through CA DOJ electronic online system call DROS, with a ten day wait. Except muzzle loader and certain antiques.

Face to face transaction is called PPT, "Private Party Transfer". All sales have DROS, "Dealer Record Of Sale".

Handgun transaction will have all details input with CA DOJ electronic system, long gun transaction only shows "Long Gun" and quantity, no record of detail input with CA DOJ electronic system, only on paper form 4473 that stays with the dealer until audit.

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Thanks, Steve. Doing research for an article. I also understand that long gun curio and relic do not fall under DROS?

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Yes, certain C & R long guns do not require DROS in CA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.