1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California lead ban for doves?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 22hornet, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Do any fellow California dove hunters know how the condor lead ban is going to affect upland hunting? I hunt west of I-5 in the Central Valley. I understand that region is designated as a condor area. Anybody know for sure?

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Call the Cal. Fish and Game and ask them to be sure.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Hard to mistake a condor from a dove. Time to go to Yuma, Az. where you are welcomed. Fred

4. MEF

MEF TS Member

AB821(Ridley-Tree Condor Act) prohibits the use of lead ammunition while hunting deer, bear, wild pig, elk, antelope, coyote, ground squirrel, and other nongame animals. It says nothing about having to use lead while hunting dove. You can go to the Cal DFG website and read the act. Mike

5. MEF

MEF TS Member

Oops, itchy trigger finger. I should have said that the act says nothing about having to use NONLEAD while hunting doves. Mike

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

The above link is specific to the condor/lead issue, courtesy of the Dept of Fish & Game. Pretty thorough and should help you. There is a map of the affected areas.

7. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Fssberson's comment brings up a humorous story.

While hunting crows in March on Fort McCoy, WI the post game warden came by and pointed out to me that small game season was closed. I mentioned that the state crow season was still going on even though grouse had closed and that crows are generally considered small game. He replied that the post considered the end of all hunting to be the end of grouse/squirrel/rabbit season even though the reg did not specify thses things clearly. He said he did not intend to give me a ticket and asked me to just pack up and go home since the end of the day was near which I said I would do.

As I picked up I asked him in a respectful what the big issue was about not hunting crows for 2 more on post when I could be doing the same thing on public ground a few hundred yards away. His answer was mind boggling--------

The biologists say the wolves are beginning to move around and look for denning areas and they do not want them to get shot. I casually commented that I had never seen any wolves fly by and that if I did I felt I could tell the difference since I used to teach ornithology at a state university. He just shook his head and walked away.

The next year the hunting reg specified that crow season ended with "small game season on xx date in February." I knew I could cause a change to federal government in my own small way some day!!

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, friends. I appreciate the link, browning4me. Fssberson, I'm considering a trip to Yuma next year. Thanks again, everyone.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

You will love Yuma. One year across the main street they [the Yumidians] hung a banner that read: "Dove Hunters Welcome!". You can hunt the Arizona side or the California side. Just get the right license. Good hunting!! Fred

10. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

You want doves go with me in Oct to Argentina,prices will never be cheaper.Details drop me a note xxpass103@aol.comxx Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is dove hunting going to be affected by the lead ban