1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California Governor signs firearm micro stamp

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike Battista, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?PRloc=common/PR/&PR=101507.cfm
    This just out. Go to above site. Good luck California shooters.
    Mike Battista

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

...and he banned lead shot in areas where the California Condors are. Gee and he's a Republican, isn't he?

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

No Starshot2b, He's a damned RINO.

Jim

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Could you define RINO please. I was hoping my sarcasm would come thru... :)

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

"Republican In Name Only," Sherree!

6. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Plus, he is not very bright.

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

what is a firearm micro stamp?

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Smsnyder: The micro-stamping requires all semi-automatic handguns sold in California to "stamp" the serial number of the gun onto each bullet as it leaves the chamber.

This should be fun...

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I hope and pray all (and I mean ALL) firearms manufacurers and firearms ammunition manufacturers close any and all operations in California, and refuse to do business in the State, including sales of firearms and ammunition to law enforcement agencies.

10. Wentez

Wentez Member

As I read the article in the first thread - it is a laser engraving on the face of the firing pin of data unique to each weapon. The hope is that semi-auto weapons would leave a fired case with an identifier left in the primer at crime scenes.

I would speculate that revolvers would pose a problem in implementing - as well as older guns. How would they do it? Have a recall to retrofit the data on exising guns? Penalize you if your gun is not retrofitted with the micro engraving? Sounds like a big program - probably charge you $212 to "update" your firearm in the name of solving or preventing crimes!!

I believe that is the quick explaination.If I am wrong I am sure someone better informed will post the correct info.

George

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Per the article I read, it only applied to semi-auto (i.e. not revolvers) that are newly certified for production - meaning it would not apply to anything that is already sold or being manufactured, just new designs.

The micro-stamp is for the shell casing (i.e. brass).

Scott

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

It affects new semi auto handguns made after 2010.

It is a moot point for one reason and may become a moot point for two, possibly.

One: a barrel change eliminates the microstamp

Two: there will be no handguns sold in 2010 if Hillary is elected.

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

What really galls me is that he made a fortune in movies where all he does is use handguns. What a joke! It's not like crooks buy handguns legally, so this useless feel-good legislation won't apply to them. I didn't vote for the liberal RINO either. Shame on all of you that did.

Don't even get me started on the lead ban condor b.s.

14. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

And if you don't use your semi-auto in a crime, the microstamp is a problem because...???

15. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Because.....it will raise the price of a pistol to the point where the average Joe(someone like me, or maybe you) will not be able to buy a handgun of his choice for sport or defense. Besides, the technology for this "microstamping" is still not viable. I think that I read that only one company says that they can do it. I wonder how much they spent lobbying this legislation?

16. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

The people who look at this stuff after it's been used where it shouldn't have, have told them it's not a currently viable option. They can't manufacture the microstamping to a lasting enough quality and, change of the firing pin,and magically, no stamping. They tried to pull the same crap with ammo recently and that was an even bigger bag of garbage. The ammo folks would have been unlikely to be able to comply and make ammo affordable to anyone but the people who hate guns anyway.

17. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

They had proposed the need for a barrel that marked the projectile with the same sort of markings but it just wouldn't leave anything that would work. And, it's not marking the brass, but the primer. Will create a nightmare for the makers due to having to keep the firing pin with a particular gun as it goes through the whole process and if it has to have a replacement, they'll have to have a set up where they can turn them out. Since so many people die at the hands of booze, I'd say we a similar device for beer cans/tabs and bottles/caps so we know where it came from.

18. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Gov Ahnold just signed a bill that eliminates the words "mom and dad" from school text books. He did it to make the homos happy.

I always wonder how much better off we'd all be if we rid the USA of Kalifornia and New York.

19. mike b.

mike b. Member

As I read it, the stamping is in the chamber and leaves an imprint on the casing as it expands. FYI Calif. limits handgun sales to ones that pass their drop test. Looking at the catalogs I receive, 90% of the handguns made and semi-auto centerfires are not legal in Calif.. Impact will be minimal here...be glad if you live elsewhere!!

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

smokerz:

"And if you don't use your semi-auto in a crime, the microstamp is a problem because...???"

Kinda the same argument as "it's OK for the government to wiretap my phone, because I'm not committing any crime, so I have nothing to hide" right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.