1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

California big Prisoner release plan

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim101, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Simply amazing. Get into a budget bind and the first thing you do is turn the criminals loose and fire the guards. What would be wrong with cutting off the social giveaway programs to illegals and putting a stop to all the fraudulent claims to the states social and medical programs. I'm sure that would save a ton more money. IMHO. Jim

In what may be the largest early release of inmates in U.S. history, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's administration is proposing to open the prison gates next year for some 22,000 low-risk offenders.

According to details of a budget proposal made available to The Bee, the administration will ask the Legislature to authorize the release of certain non-serious, nonviolent, non-sex offenders who are in the final 20 months of their terms.

The proposal would cut the prison population by 22,159 inmates and save the cash-strapped state an estimated $256 million in the fiscal year that begins July 1 and more than $780 million through June 30, 2010. The proposal also calls for a reduction of more than 4,000 prison jobs, most of them involving correctional officers

2. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Just think how much money the "early re-prosecution" part of the plan will be!

3. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

What the heck, they've got TVs, stereos, work out rooms, game rooms and all the sex they want.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Why not do anybody on death row in now. Then the funds saved from that coould be used to keep the guards on.

5. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

They are doing the same here in minnesota, releasing cocaine dealers and offenders early to save money, so they can spend more rearresting them later.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Smart governor, insuring full employment in the law enforcement and Legal/judicial industry.

Insurance rates are bound to go up too.

HM

7. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

All of you should be aware. The release of prisoners was ordered by a Federal Judge. It is not the wish of our politicians. Our courts today are far more of a burgen to the tax payer, when it comes to law, and costs of administering it, than politicials. And not for one minute am I in agreement with our so called elected officials. But be sure of facts before you jump to conclusions and/or blame any person or persons. - Jim

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Commiefornia Crime Reduction Plan - Ban guns and release criminals.

Yeah, that ought to work.

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Jim101

I keep getting a "404-Not Found" message when I click on the link you provided.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

were are they going to get jobs? almost nothing is made here anymore?

11. Easystreet

Quote: "According to details of a budget proposal made available to The Bee, the administration will ask the Legislature to authorize the release of certain non-serious, nonviolent, non-sex offenders who are in the final 20 months of their terms."

They don't list the criteria for how they determine who is "non-serious, non-violent offenders..... but if in fact they are non-serious, non-violent, non-sex offenders who will be released in 20 months (or less) anyway, then it sounds like a good idea to me. Why should the taxpayers pay for the room, board, upkeep, guards, etc necessary to keep them in prison?

12. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

So, are theyjust releasing Big prisoners, what's the weight limit ya gotta meet? Bet the Small ones are fighting mad about not being able to get released.

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Easystreet, I don't have a clue why the link is not working. It's not working from the Drudge site either. It did work earlier today. Anyway I attached a link to a companion story.

Jim

14. Easystreet

Jim,

Thanks for the new link. About the only thing of interest in the new link that I saw was some politician's excuse of why they shouldn't be released. He said "By letting people out 20 months early, which is suppposed to be when they get their re-entry skills, they're not going to get them at all, so recidivism is going to get worse."

I find that a pretty lame excuse, in my opinion. I don't know how long these "non-serious, non-violent, non-sexual offenders" have been in prison, but if the state are waiting for the last few months of their incarceration to try to rehabilitate them, they have probably already waited too long.

Another comment in the article referred to the estimated 28,000 prisoners who would be released under this program in the next two years. I figure that's about the number of illegals who enter California every few weeks and the state has NO idea what crimes these illegals may have committed before they got here.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I hear the State of California is calling this their "Catch and Release" plan.

16. zap

zap TS Member

JIm, once again i see that you are sadly un-informed. A federal judge cannot take it upon themselves to do anything of the sort unless its requested of them. My brother in in the mix on this as a senior spokesman for the correctional system and he clearly stated to me that the ol, gov. was talked into this consideration and his folks drafted the proposal and had it presented. A judge can only act on whats presented to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.