1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calif PITA State Shoot Results?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I will try tomorrow to obtain all the results from the 5 days of events and post them for those interested.

Been an excellent shoot so far. Coon Creek has 8 traps and Saturday's 200 Singles events had 42 full squads. It was a long day shot in perfect conditions, a little warm perhaps but no wind, a good sky and some incredible shooting. I believe there were five 200's put up (3 AA and 2 A) and a bunch of 100 straights. The shootoffs concluded under the lights! The place is packed with folks. Good to see a strong showing from all the juniors and sub junior shooters, Billy Slayne put up a 199 (last year's PITA Grand Singles Champ at age 12). I believe the AA went to Doug Burford after a 3 way shootoff (Chuck Reading and Ron Alcoriza) and Doug had to put up another 175 straight to win it. Fantastic shooting.

Doubles and Caps tomorrow.

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I was one of the scorekeepers Friday, Saturday and yesterday (I'm exhausted today!). I finished my last squad Saturday at 6:50 p.m.!!! I don't think we've ever had such a full day of shooting before, this was before the shoot-offs. The scores Saturday were much higher than Friday - I believe in the 1st 100 we had 17 100's!

It was really nice to see old friends and make new ones as well. It was also great to see some of my friends break their first 100's - very exciting... good weather, good shooting, good people, great place to shoot (of course, I'm prejudiced since Coon Creek is my home club!).

3. Hitmissone

Hitmissone TS Member

Who was singles champ? I saw Ron and someone else shooting off when I left.

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I thought Chuck Redding ended as Champ, then Ron Alcoriza as Champ RU. I, having been in the sun too long this weekend, could be wrong.

5. Hitmissone

Hitmissone TS Member

Chuck went out way early. I saw Ron and another at the end. It wasn't Chuck.

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Well, I did say I could be wrong... sorry!

7. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

As posted above. Doug Burford won singles with his first 200 and then 175 shoot off over Ron Alcoriza. Chuck Redding was 3rd or I believe AA winner.

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Dave Kelly won the doubles today over Gary Bonetti......another unreal shootoff, 120 something straight before Gary dropped a bird. If I am not mistaken I believe they both shot 99 in the event to qualify for the shootoff.

And I apologize for not knowing the name of the handicap winner but Gary Bonnetti was also in that shootoff. Gary is quite the allround talent.

I had to leave at 6:15 this evening and they had just finished the shootoffs and I couldn't hang around and wait for a printout of the winners from all 5 days.

But I can say this - the real winner was PITA, Coon Creek and the sport of trapshooting. This was a really fun event and I did not see anything even approaching unsportsmanlike conduct, rather the opposite, smiles abounded, happy winners and happy competitors. The depth of field was pretty impressive and the scores were worthy of a State Championship. I'm glad I was able to be there to shoot a couple of days but in attendance for all 5 days. The top shooters in the area were all there and it won't be long before we see the torch passed to a new generation of incredibly talented junior and sub-junior shooters.

Thanks Joan and George, if there are more gracious hosts I'd love to meet them, Joan and George are the real deal. And to all the help on the traps, equipment, scoring, in the office, preparing breakfast, lunch and dinner - a huge thumbs up to all of you. Your labors in the background do not go unnoticed, without you guys, "shoot harmony" would break down real fast.

9. Express

Express TS Member

There was a petition/protest going around about Bonetti's squad. Does anyone know what it was about??

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I returned from the shoot late last night, exhausted, but totally fulfilled from 5 days of great shooting and a lot of fun. As stated above, Coon Creek put on a great state shoot. There were 40 plus squads, and the scores were awsome. You really had to have your "A" game on if you even wanted a shot at a trophy for this shoot. The big dogs shot their usual top scores, as well as some great scores shot by others. Congratulations to T/S.coms Randy Shelton for not only running his first PITA 100 straight in singles, but for following that up with another one as well, for his 200 straight. Karen Beckman, a relatively new lady shooter, also shot back to back 100 straights in singles. Dave Kelly was almost unstoppable in handicap and doubles for the entire week. Dave definately has handicap and doubles "dialed in", as his scores showed. 97's and 98's in handicaps, and 99's in doubles. Very consistant. The special event on Sundays handicap event was in excess of $7400, with some help from Rich Bullard doing the auctioneering, and the annual Oyster Feed, provided by Coon Creek and the CSTA was fantastic. Thanks to Walt Coulson and Dave Fruth for their help in assisting me in cooking and shucking them. We went through 1200 oysters before dinner. The food was provided by Joe Spell and his crew and you couldn't ask for more. All in all, the shoot was well run, well attended, and well organized. Thank you CSTA, Coon Creek, and all the numerous volunteers that made this yet another great state shoot. It has taken a lot of time, effort, and determination on the part of the CSTA to put this shoot back on course, and if this years attendence was any indicator, this shoot is well on its way to attaining its potential.......Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I shot on "Bonetti's" squad for two day. The only problem was that he shot 100 each day and I didn't. Gary is a great guy and a remarkable shooter...nufsaid.

Jon Schorle, Sacramento, CA

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Thanks Dan for that excellent commentary. I had neglected to mention the incredible performance put on by the members of the el Dorado gun club. This is a small club folks, and there is a small group of dedicated event shooters. They enjoyed amazing success at the state shoot but the highlight was the Saturday singles. El Dorado had 6 shooters run 100 straight and two went on to shoot 200 straight. Bill Pease and randy shelton both ran 200 and 100 straight also went to Larry carsten, Karen beckman, don firanzi and john huntsman.you would have to look hard to find a nicer group of people. I couldn't quite pull off the 100 straight but instead put up back to back 99's in the singles. On the second 100 I missed my first bird and ran the rest, close but no cigar.

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Dan - wow, that's a long drive back after a long day of shooting! It was great to finally meet you after all this time! I'm hoping to come up your way to shoot in the next few months.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sherree..... It was a long drive home but it was a nice, peaceful one up through the Redwoods. All the Memorial Day traffic was going the other way back into the cities. It took me about 6 hours to make the drive and I didn't get out of Lincoln until about 4:00pm. It was nice meeting you, too. I hope to see you at one of our shoots this year. We have one in July, one in August, and our annual "Toys for Tots" shoot in November.......Dan

15. edbon9

edbon9 Member

ffwildcat. two 99's well you are on your way to AAA :) good shooting with you
    and the lil' mate on monday's handicap, I'm glad i didn't steal post 1 from you :).. and chiefjon, good shooting with you on the singles event, clearly I need more practice to hang with you on post 1 :) awesome shoot at coon creek, those guys were on top of everything.

edgar

16. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Edgar,
    It was a pleasure to shoot with you again. The little mate and I always enjoy your company. I was lucky enough to walk away with the short yardage win but at the expense of a wonderful young shooter Kirby foster who took runner up; I took my punch gladly and we will see how it goes shooting in another class. Our squad did well, patty Todd also won the ladies handicap with a 95, she was cock a hoop with the win.

I would like to know who won the sub junior overall as it was a tight race between drew, billy and luke, maybe just a few targets in it.

17. srvfan

srvfan Member

To ffwildcat
    I was wondering if you know who in the short yardage that you won (congrats)
    was under kirby foster another words 3rd place? Or even the third place
    score. I think you shot a 97 and Kirby shot a 96? I watched you guys shoot
    on the last trap great shooting.
    Thanks Paul

18. edbon9

edbon9 Member

paul, if you shot the 94 I think there was a 95 on the board, besides patty's :) I think I tied you :)

19. randy-s

randy-s Member

There was a 6 way tie in the Championship Singles event. Ron Alcorisa, Doug Burford, Chuck Redding, Bill Pease, Glen Jager and Randy Shelton all shot a score of 200. Bill, Randy and Glen went out in the first round, Chuck was next leaving it to Ron and Doug. Doug Burford prevailed after a lengthy shootoff. Another shooter, Evan Fine from Reno, Nevada also posted a score of 200 awarding him top honors in singles for an out of state shooter. AA Class Champ went to Chuck Reding, Glen Jager runner up, A Class Champ went to Randy Shelton with Bill Pease as runner up.

Squad 20 made up of Dan Canet, Bill Pease, George Reese, Larry Carsten and Randy Shelton had a great day as a squad breaking back to back 497's for a total of 994x1000 in the Championship Singles event.

Thanks to all who made this shoot a success.

20. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Paul,

The 94 was indeed the 3rd place score. The 95 that was posted in short yardage on the score sheets in the shed was incorrectly classified. that shooter had been punched twice on sunday and ended up shooting in the monday handicap at 21 yards. it worked out for him though, his score turned out to be the runner up score in the 21-23 yard group. so the 95 was taken off the board for short yardage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

calif pita trapshoot scores